Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 12-19-2008, 01:55 PM

Default Hazel Ck

From your handle it looks like you may be from LEX, KY, as am I. Too bad abt not getting to Hazel this year; but it does raise possibilities for 2009. I have never been there in the Spring or Summer, just not too fond of insects since I spent a year in the jungle in a country that no longer exists and never got used to bug juice. Fall trips have been in SEP or early OCT, but of course depend on water levels. Due to the effort to get there, I would not go for less than: drive down TUE evening; take party boat WED; fish THU, FRI, SAT; come out SUN. BG Chapter TU has tried to put one of these together, and may have made it, I just never got to go. Do not give up on this trip; will be one of the best in GSMNP.
Skip Watson
Old 01-09-2009, 01:09 PM

Default hazel cr

hw3,
thanks for the info. I am from & in Lexington and in the past have been to some of the BGTU outings years ago but not to GSMNP. I haven't given up on the Hazel trip, just putting it off. I may try the spring, but fall is more likely. I'll post about it here again when it is time to go.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:35 PM

You should definitely come back and do Hazel in the spring. Late April or early May is golden up there. Look for rows of jonquils blooming where houses used to stand and when you are fishing a big pool all by yourself, listen for the "voices on the wind" Harry Middleton talked about. My father fished Hazel in the 50's and 60's and swore he heard voices on Hazel; and that was long before Harry's book ever came out.
I've never heard voices, but I did run into a group of smokin' hot backpacking chicks coming off the 20 mile trail once. I guess that's unrelated, but man-o-man, I just had to mention it.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:41 PM

Can some one tell me where hazel creek is? I know I have had to see it and I have read about it in several books on the smokies but darn I can not seem to figure it out. Is it boat access only?
Old 01-21-2009, 02:04 PM

Hazel is located on the north shore of Fontana Lake. There are three ways to get there:

A 10 mile hike from Fontana Dam or a 20 mile hike from Bryson City. That gets you to the southern end of the trailhead. Or a 4 mile hike from Clingman's Dome to the northern trailhead. From there it's about another 3 miles to water.

A $50 per person (round trip) boat ride from Fontana Marina - located close to the dam.

A 2 mile paddle from Cable Cove off Hwy 28. Or if you have your own boat, you can launch it at Cable Cove or the Fontana Marina.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:24 PM

Thanks for the information. I guess I have never been there but it does sound nice.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:40 PM

I think Hazel Creek is deemed by many to be the Mecca of Smoky Mountain flyfishing. There's a lot of history in the area. As Mark_Cathey (any relation the THE Mark Cathey?) said, you can at least figurativly hear the "voices on the wind".

Arguably, the fishing may not be any better than other streams in the Park. It's takes a serious effort to get there. And weekend crowds in the spring and fall can number in excess of 50. But I think any serious Southeastern flyfisherman should make at least one pilgrimage.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:49 PM

Man you guys should be salesmans or are you. I am definately going to have to put this one on the list to do. I am interested in the vices in the wind as much as I am the fishing. I may need to post when I can come and see if anyone else would like to tag along.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:00 PM

Hey Old Tom. No, no blood relation, although he is my namesake. My father received a signed copy of Jim Gasque's book, "Hunting and Fishing in the Great Smokies" from his widow (with a little help from Carson Brewer here in Knoxville) in the early 60's. It quickly became his favorite book, particularly the chapters about Mark Cathey, and so when I came along, he named me after him. My dad gave me the book, along with a letter about becoming a man, on my 18th birthday and it's now my most prized possession. I notice you're from Bryson City. Did you ever know him? We met a lady working at the Pizza Hut there a couple years back whose father knew him really well. She'd grown up out on "Paint'r Creek", which is also where we happened to be camping that night. It was very cool.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:37 PM

Careful there young Mark. I'm Old but I ain't that old. No I didn't know him. Mr Cathey died in 1944, sitting in the woods under an oak tree, hunting rifle in his lap, his Plott Hound by his side. An apparent heart attack. Not a bad way to go out when your time comes.

I look forward to reading Gasque's book. It has recently been reprinted and I gave my son a copy of it for Christmas this year.