Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 01-21-2009, 08:40 PM

You guys have me now interested in this book. Is this a book that is found at LRO or where do you get a copy of it?
Old 01-21-2009, 09:12 PM

It's a book that was out of print for about 40 years but it's my understanding that just this past year, Chapel Hill Press or one of those vintage publishers picked it back up again. It's a great "old school" book and describes the days when there were hunting and fishing lodges throughout what's now the park. Definitely something cool to have if you are at all interested in the sporting traditions of the area.

Sorry, Old Tom. I missed your last post until just now. I actually meant to ask if you knew anyone who knew him. My bad.

But yeah, that's the way I want to go, too......

By the way, there's a recording of his peculiar way of talking that was recorded for one of those Appalachian dialect preservation projects back in the 30's. The link is here- (wish I'd found it before my dad passed away) Just click the play button-

http://www.cas.sc.edu/engl/dictionar...they_mark.html
Old 01-22-2009, 05:31 PM

I did find some copies of this book out there still and I might just try and snatch one up. It sounds like it would be a good read. My wife loves the history books of the cades cove area and I believe she would like this one to. Thanks for the information on it.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:53 AM

Hey Lexfly, a few of us from BGTU go to Hazel every May, usually the first or second weekend. You are more than welcome to join us. Jim Eggum Stonehedgegg@aol.com
Old 01-28-2009, 03:57 PM

Default Late-March Trip

Looking for info about Hazel Creek area and advice on how to fish the stream(s) in the area. Will be hiking to #83 from the east along Bear Creek and Cold Spring, and then down Hazel Creek to the lake (and then back to the east along the Lakeshore Trail). While this will be primarily a hiking/camping trip, we want to fish the creeks along the way. I am a trout fishing virgin and am looking for whatever info I can get to make it as good a trip as possible for me and the daughter before she goes off to college. Thanks, Jim JThomLawyer@aol.com
Old 01-28-2009, 04:14 PM

Hi Jim.

Just speaking for myself, but I think the route you and your daughter are hiking is a beautiful one. You will have an incredible time, regardless of whether you catch fish. That said, fishing on Hazel is like anywhere else in the park; the trout are spooky and you have to approach the stream carefully and from behind. If you aren't fly fishing, which I'm assuming, make sure you have a single hook (and really, since its Hazel, why don't you just go ahead and mash the barb down too?).
A lite little Mepps or PM spinner in a nice fast run or pulled through a deep hole (there's plenty of those farther down toward the lake) will probably do you right. Just remember- no bait! I mean, even if it weren't against the law, who the **** wants their kids to grow up knowing their dad is a bait fisherman?

Have fun! Watch for bears at 83. Just sayin......
Old 01-28-2009, 06:33 PM

I'll add that #83 is not the prettiest campsite on Hazel, but it's is a great choice for fishing. You're right where Bone Valley feeds into Hazel. My advice would be to set up camp, grab your fishing gear and head up the Bone Valley trail. It's an easy mile to the end of the trail. You can fish a few holes along the way and at the end of the trail you'll find the Hall-Kresse cabin - which just happens to be the cabin in my avitar. Back at the campsite, be sure to visit the old cemetary on the Northwest side the Hazel Creek trail - just follow the unmarked trail up the hill.

It's an easy hike on down to the mouth of Hazel and the trail is right on the stream for the next 5 miles. Fish anywhere that looks interesting. At the end. spend some time just looking around when you get to the old Calhoun house and the old structures left behind from the lumbering days. Sit down on the front steps of the house and try to imagine what life was like there 80 - 90 years ago.

Late March can be iffy for fishing. The water temps will most likely still be below the magical 50 degree mark. Meaning the fish won't be feeding aggressively. Whether you're fly or spinner fishing, use something that will get your fly/lure down close to the bottom.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:44 PM

I agree with everything Old Tom says about Bone Valley and the river in general; and just to add one more thing- the Proctor Cemetery is on up the "road" about a half mile beyond the old Calhoun place (going downstream) and is a really peaceful place to sit and relax and maybe (if you're by yourself and prone to such things) talk to the folks that used to live in the area after a day on the river. I love that spot- just had to mention it.

Last edited by Mark_Cathey; 01-29-2009 at 07:23 AM..
Old 02-15-2009, 02:55 PM

Default Campsites on Hazel

If you were to do the impossible and ignore the fishing aspects of the decision, which would be the nicer campsite to stay at for one night, 83 or 84? We will be hiking in from the east (site 75). Other than the fact that 83 is at the meeting point of Hazel and Bone Valley, is there anything about one or the other that grades one out at and "A" and the other at an "A-" ? And I am betting that someone is going to tell me to stay at neither and to instead turn north at the Hazel and go the extra mile up to 82. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and advice. Thanks, Jim
Old 02-15-2009, 04:11 PM

Fishing convenience aside, 84 wins hands down. Away from the trail, all flat, under a canopy of trees, sites by either Hazel or Sugarfork Creek (fishable too), water source 100 yds back down the trail (I hate pumping water), no horses. One of my hiking books calls it one of the nicest sites in the Park.