Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 10-11-2008, 10:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite
Default bears and bows on the little

Fished Friday the 10th starting out just above metcalf. Fished for about an hour before I got ran out of the river by a bear! He came out of the woods about 50 yards in front of me. I looked at him, he looked at me, and I began to worry just a little. So I made my way to the road side of the river and climbed up onto the road. To my suprise when I got onto the road, so did he, and he was walking my way!!! So I slowly walked backwards ( so I could watch what he was doing) towards my truck which was about 100 yards from me. About half way to the truck, bear still following, a car came by, and he ran up to hill into he woods. Thank goodness for that car!

I did however keep fishing, just not in that spot. After about 5 hours of fishing i caught countless bows, and not a single brown. All of which took dries, not even a single bite on my dropper. All in all, a successful day.

BTW A fellow guide that I know also got chased from the little river just below metcalf by a bear. the bear would charge, then back off, charge then back off, and it continued that way until my buddy got all the way back to his truck. I also talked with a guy wo saw a bear right in metcalf the day before. So beware around metcalf bottoms!
Old 10-11-2008, 11:24 PM

2wtfav., Chad told me about his bear encounter. Is there any park reg. against carrying Counter Assault? It is sold in every fly shop in West Yellowstone but you never see any around here.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite

As far as I know it is just no fire arms. I do plan on carrying some bear mace. I think around here you pretty much have to order it. I know there are quite a few companies that make the stuff, but I don't know what type I am going to carry myself. I'm definitely going to look for the type that is colored, so I can at least see where the spray is going, and I want something that shoots some distance.

From what I have heard, on black bears at least, the mace does quite the job. I know it would make me feel at least a little safer, especially when I hike in a ways before fishing. I fished up the little river trail at cucumber gap a few weeks ago, and just knowing that they've been having some aggressive bear problems up at that campsite really made me a little uneasy. Not uneasy enough not to fish up there however!

At the same time, I have to ask myself, is it even worth carrying? I don't know the exact stats, but lets face it, a bear attack is highly unlikely. Although, it is alot easier to mace now and ask questions later, as opposed to shoot with a 44 mag now, and ask questions later... Tell me what you all think, is it worth carrying bear mace?
Old 10-12-2008, 04:03 PM

In the case of a bear, I think I'd rather have mace than most any revolver or pistol. You'd be far less likely to wound the bear and have a very angry wounded bear running loose for the rangers to finish off. Bears are big, fairly thick skinned with dense muscle and bones. Short of a very heavy handgun calibre most could not be counted on for a quick drop of an attacking bear (without perfect or lucky shot placement.

At least with the pepper spray, you'll most likely accomplish the desired result which is to take the wind out of the sails of an angry or overly courious bear without the other risks associated.

I do carry a firearm wen I fish outside of the park, but not for protection against bears.

Jeff
Old 10-12-2008, 05:17 PM

Byron and Daniel might order some if enough people want
the Bear Spray. You can get it at The Sportsman Wharehouse.
I bought some at the one in Chattanooga . I keep it under my truck seat.

The Principal
Old 10-12-2008, 08:23 PM

I do carry counter assault when I go into the park, especially when my son is with me. I did email someone at the parks department and they said it was fine. Hope I never have to use it but it is nice to have.....

"My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my fly-fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."
Old 10-12-2008, 08:28 PM

Sounds like a hairy situation. Glad nothing happened to you. I always carry a can of Counter Assault with me in the park.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:57 PM

REI in Nashville stocks it. I have seen it in a couple of the hiking stores around Gatlinburg. I carry it, never had to even worry about it, but better safe than sorry. To tell the truth my wife makes me carry it when I fish alone. I am more afraid of her than the bears.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:13 PM

eBay has several places to purchase Counter Assault too!
Old 10-13-2008, 12:03 AM

I too emailed NPS and got the okay to carry it. Just check the expire date on the canister. Just be careful and READ AND FOLLOW instructions!! I would consider carrying it similar to carrying a firearm. It should be used as a LAST RESORT.

I wonder how many attacks and "bear scares" have occurred this summer. I've heard of at least two "attacks" and several scares.

Randall Sale
Kytroutbum