Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 10-13-2008, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutman View Post
2wtfav., Chad told me about his bear encounter. Is there any park reg. against carrying Counter Assault? It is sold in every fly shop in West Yellowstone but you never see any around here.

I carry counter assault as well. I have had to pull it out on one bear at poke patch in the head of Deep Creek. Luckily the bear changed his mind before I sprayed him. I have had to use it on a dog before. I hated to do it, but when you have a pit bull run up on you with teeth showing you really have to act or get bit.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:01 AM

I am a bit confused by the rules here. In this article about the increase in bear/human encounters it says: "If allowed, carry bear repellent spray, which has some good results. Bear repellent spray is not allowed in Great Smoky Mountains National Park."

Why would they not allow you to carry this in the park? Why would Park Service employees state that it is okay, if in fact it isn't?
Would like to see some clarification, because I carry Counter Assault when I am fishing the park.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2008/se...plain-attacks/
Old 10-13-2008, 10:20 AM

I ran into a bear this weekend about a mile up the Little River Trail. He came down to the river about 50 yds ahead of me while I was fishing. I lost sight of him behind some logs, so I started backing down the river to find a good spot to get out. I was down in a deep spot and didn't really want to not have a good way out if he decided to come my way. He eventually wandered back in the woods...not sure if he ever even saw me.

I went farther up the trail and started fishing again. When I finished, I was coming back down the trail and ran into some picture-takers who had been in the river on some rocks, evidently he came to the river's edge directly across from them.

This was my first encounter in several years...seems like they're happening more often now, not sure if it's because of more people, or more bears. It does make me consider carrying spray in the future, though. Not sure what I would have done down there if he had come my direction with no good way out.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolFan View Post
I ran into a bear this weekend about a mile up the Little River Trail. He came down to the river about 50 yds ahead of me while I was fishing. I lost sight of him behind some logs, so I started backing down the river to find a good spot to get out. I was down in a deep spot and didn't really want to not have a good way out if he decided to come my way. He eventually wandered back in the woods...not sure if he ever even saw me.

I went farther up the trail and started fishing again. When I finished, I was coming back down the trail and ran into some picture-takers who had been in the river on some rocks, evidently he came to the river's edge directly across from them.

This was my first encounter in several years...seems like they're happening more often now, not sure if it's because of more people, or more bears. It does make me consider carrying spray in the future, though. Not sure what I would have done down there if he had come my direction with no good way out.

I have ran into two bears the last few weeks. One in Cataloochee and one in the Pisgah national forest. I also seen one ran over in downtown Asheville a few weeks ago. This bear was around 400 pounds.

On a side note, I have a book on fishing by a author named Jimmy Jacobs. He said that in 25 years fish these remote streams he has yet to see a bear. How is that possible?
Old 10-13-2008, 05:35 PM

"If allowed, carry bear repellent spray, which has some good results. Bear repellent spray is not allowed in Great Smoky Mountains National Park."

I had a direct email response from Park Headquarters spring before last, stating that the use of Bear Spray was LEGAL!!!

Counter Assault can be purchased online at "counterassault.com". Costs about $50. Watch when you purchase it that you get a large canister. There are some "Cheaper Ones"that do not carry as much propellant. It is fired in short 2-3 seconds bursts at the bear's face. If I am in a situation where I have to use it, I would rather have paid the extra few bucks for the larger amount. The NFS Headquarters in Cody, Wyo. uses only "COUNTER ASSAULT". I've never used it but have heard "UDAP", is just as good. The only thing that goes bad on it is the propellant after several years. My wife and I carry "newly purchased canister" then stick the "older one" in a pack as a back up. The pepper spray is still good just the range is not as far. We also carry older cans in the door pockets of our cars.

Kytroutbum
Randall Sale
Old 10-13-2008, 10:01 PM

On a side note, I have a book on fishing by a author named Jimmy Jacobs. He said that in 25 years fish these remote streams he has yet to see a bear. How is that possible?[/QUOTE]

It was possible, Jacob's book came out in 1996, a lot has changed since then.

The numbers are up, both more people and more bears now. On top of that it is prime season now before winter.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:25 PM

I have been fishing in GSMNP for around 35 years, admittedly more in the last year than the previous 34, but I have never encountered a bear while fishing. Scared one up while out hiking once but never on the stream.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 10-15-2008, 08:00 AM

I have followed this thread with a lot of interest as I'm sure a lot of other people have. All of the points on mace are well taken and, granted, it is some very potent stuff, but the absolute best repellent in the world is a bear hunting license.
I've toted one for years and bears run when I cross into the county, hardly ever spot one, then it's just a glimpse of their rear end!!!! Smiles.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:07 PM

I carry a pistol with me when bears are hanging around the house. I don't plan on shooting a bear, just scaring them off with the noise. About a month ago I bought two extremely light compressed air horns. They are about 6" long and there is enough air for 80 basts. I've got one in each kayak in case a cruise ship is headed toward us to be used as a last resort. Last week a customer came in the shop and said he bought one for his fishing vest to use in the event of a bear encounter. I think everyone should have one of those. They are probably more effective at scaring off a bear before they get close enough to use the spray. And, if you fell and were injured you could get the attention of a rescue person. I think they cost about $12.

Byron
Old 10-15-2008, 01:06 PM

I never thought about the air horn but that's a great idea byron i will invest in some of that. Like you said, hopefully the noise will scare them off that way you don't have to get close enough to use the spray. I have spray, and hope i never have to use it, but have never had an encounter where i felt threatened. They have all just kept an eye on me and left the scene when i got far enough away.