Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 10-18-2008, 11:10 AM

BamaBum,

Gad to hear you kept your cool and it worked out for ya. Bears are scary. I've been lucky and they've always ran from me.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite

So maybe alot of you may think I'm crazy, but I see this story as one more reason to carry a side arm. at 20 feet (when he threw the rod) 2 or 3 shots from a .44 or a .45 long colt would have resolved the issue, and kept more issues from arising out of the same bear. Obviously there is a problem with bears around Metcalf right now, there is no doubting that. I also realize that the park probably is trying to trap those bears as we speak.. However, isn't it proven bears will travel crazy long distances and show back up sooner or later where they were removed from? Anyway, unable to carry a fire arm in the park, I'll carry bear sprey, and just hope it never has to be used...

I do find it odd however, that a man with a permit to carry, cannot carry in one of the few places he may actually someday need to use a gun... Even in Cherokee national Forest, where hunting is ALLOWED, we cannot carry a handgun... I still find that mind boggling...
Old 10-18-2008, 11:26 PM

I completely agree. I haven't bought the spray yet, but I do have my knife and will buy some spray on my next trip. I think the bear population may be too large at this point. They may need to have a hunt.
Old 10-19-2008, 03:19 AM

Default Again for the Newbie

Where is this Metcalf Bottoms? I can't find it on my park map! I will be fishing the park on Wed. and I want to see if that is anywhere near my plans.

Steve Gillespie,
The Gypsy
Old 10-19-2008, 07:40 AM

I propose we once again hold off on the gun control debate here (even though I agree with the earlier posts). It's been beaten to death and is considered off-topic on this message board. Now back to fishing!
Old 10-19-2008, 08:03 AM

Send a message via AIM to Speckleman5 Send a message via Yahoo to Speckleman5

I agree flydoc. The last thing the mighty moderator wants to do on her Sunday is close off a thread, lol. As for Met calf Bottoms it is on the little river. It is the large picnic area just off the road and on the river. It's no surprise that Yogi has been seen.....but her activity might require somone working for the park service to give him one of those nyquil darts.......
Old 10-19-2008, 08:12 AM
Administrator

Quote:
The last thing the mighty moderator wants to do on her Sunday is close off a thread, lol
She's going in to work today, but she appreciates the sentiment.

By the way, it wasn't the topic of guns that was objectionable, it was the way in which the conversation degenerated that created an issue. Civil discussion is always welcome here.

Paula
Old 10-19-2008, 05:42 PM

Default to our surprise

this one snuck out behind us by about 15 feet, not sure why his tongue was hanging out but hoped it was cause he was too tired to pursue me....
if the pic looks a little shakey, it could be that the trigger finger (camera)was a little shakey also....

they say you don't have to outrun the bear, you only have to be able to outrun one of the people around you.......I may be 50 but I think I might could have taken that 75 yr old guy behind us....(just kidding)

guess it was just another day in the Cove.....

Bob
Jeremiah 29:13
Old 10-19-2008, 06:26 PM

Nice shot!