Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 10-14-2008, 08:15 PM

Default Gresham's Instigator

So, I'm out on the Caney this last weekend and they are tearing up my red strike indicator and I wonder what would happen if I tied an all red fly, so I tied one tonight and I'll try it out this weekend. It's probably very similar to something that already exists, but what the heck...I had trouble with the tail and it's not tied very well, but it'll do for now.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:15 PM

I know a guide out of Cody, Wyo. who ties a red bodied turck's tarantula and uses it as an indicator when trout hit his indicators. Charles Meck has tied an "indicator fly". I'll post it if i can find it.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:20 PM

I figure it was worth a shot
Old 10-14-2008, 11:19 PM

Hey go for it! Other than the hackle appearing to be a size too large, it looks good to me. Look at a lot of the early Smokies flies, they don't exactly look like they came out of LRO's fly bins. Commerical tyers sell the "perfect flies" and fish with their mistakes. Were there any October Caddis hatching, (Large caddis with orangish body)? Trout might have been keying in on the color?
Old 10-15-2008, 12:36 PM

So the hackle is too thick or too long?
Old 10-15-2008, 01:09 PM

The hackle is a little too long. I believe the general rule of thumb is that it should be no more than 1.5x the gap distance of the bend in the hook.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:53 PM

Yeah, those size 20 hooks are hard to find hackle that length for, from what I've seen. I have some rooster hackle in a natural red, but that stuff is dyed and looked more like the color of the floss, so I used it.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:08 AM

Do any of you guys just trim the hackle down to size? Is it better to add hackle that is already the correct size?
Old 10-16-2008, 10:01 AM

Back in the good old days, we used to trim the hackle with a razor blade, by spreading the hackle fibers out before tying them in. Early tyers used to use hackle 2x-21/2x times for spiders and variants and caught fish.

Parachutes are tied with hackles one size larger than the "normal size" for that pattern. You also can use a "lower" grade feather for a parachute. Other than "Wulff type" flies, I'm switching all my new mayflies to parachutes!

My own opinion there is no difference in a natural hackle and trimmed one for fishing "at some sizes", just a pain to cut and tie. Actual flies have stiff blunt legs unlike the tips of hackles.

I usually use a hackle guage when purchasing hackle. Whiting 100's while an excellent buy usually run a size larger. I find that size 16's might actually be a size 14.

A side note. According to A.K. Best, some the "High Priced" hackles are too stiff causing the fly to spin and twist finer tippets, he uses "Tyers Grade" necks.

Randall Sale
Kytroutbum
Old 10-16-2008, 11:32 AM

KY,

Thanks for the info...There's a lot to this!