Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 10-18-2008, 04:29 AM

Default Willow Fly For Troutman

Was Perusiing Old Threads And Found Your Request.years Ago I Came Across A Good One.tied On A Partridge Hook.2 Tails Of Stripped Hackle Feathers Tied Curved Up+out.dubbing Of Your Choice Wound Thin At End Of Shank-increasing To Eye.take Two Hackle Fthrs-strip Off One Side-tie In Butt At Wing Position-tie In Tip With Hackle Inside To Form Wing Of Appro Size.looping Feather W/hackle Inside Gives Wing "veins".match Body And Wing To Color Of Local Willow Fly.we Have Large-2" Black On Lake Seminole,ga.and Med Yellow On Apalachicola River.saturate Body With Floatant.partridge Hooks Have More Metal.also Seen These Tied 'spent Wing'.let Me Know If This Works For You.swampus
Old 10-18-2008, 02:17 PM

Sounds like a good pattern. All of the local willow flies I have seen are black, but I seem to remember some of the guys that fished the hatch using a large green drake pattern also. I missed the heavy hatch of willow flies this year on Watts Bar lake but did get plenty of gills on white sliders and RLDs. Try again next summer when our local Fed. of flyfishers has another weekend fish/camp on the lake.

BTW, What Part. hook # are you using? I planned on tying on TMC 200
Old 10-18-2008, 03:06 PM

Default Par Hook

I Have 3 Sizes-8,10,+12.don't Know If You Can Get Larger.i Use #6/7 To Tie Poppers.originally Tied These For Trout.maybe Lro Can Get Some.btw-the Only Thing I Didn't Like About Part Hooks Was Dubbing Sliding Off Tail Hook Shank.solved By Wrapping W/thread,covering Wraps W/cement,then Ting In Tails And Wrapping Dubbing.thinking Now,i Would Take A File To The Tail Shank +rough It Up!