Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 10-21-2008, 11:41 AM

Gerry,

No that wasn't me and I guess that wasn't you I saw. He He. I was right where the fishermans lodge is. It has a sign in front of the little white cottage. I don't own a black net but I do have some funky hats.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:48 PM

I am planning on heading to the SoHo again on Monday and am very excited to try again! Last few times I drove 3 hours to get skunked by good looking fish that I could plainly see. I have tried everything in my fly box from sulphers to tiny midges. I dont get the opportunity to head that way often (I have 3 young kids, 2 in diapers). Anybody got any advice for someone that has little experience on the river? Maybe I can get a couple bites this time! Thanks!
Old 10-26-2008, 06:08 PM

olive midges in the AM, size 20 preferably size 22. 7X tippet, fish the flats when you see them feeding. Use a dry for an indicator or go old style with a double nymph rig. Sulphurs came off at about 1 PM last weekend. Might happen again but it's tapering off. Yellow or rust colored dry in size 16 should do it. I'm no expert but it worked for me.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:18 PM

Thanks Tennswede! I started out downstream today and tried the midges. I missed a few strikes early then not much action. I decided to try an olive woolly bugger, and this was the hot ticket for a while. I hooked a few nice fish and lost them, then landed a beautiful 16" brown ( pic below). I did not have a camera, but managed to get a pic on my cell phone, not much for quality but I wanted a pic of this fish. I also got some very nice rainbows. The Soho rainbows have very nice colors and fight very hard! Later on I went to the weir dam and joined in on a nice hatch. I used a #18 sulfur orange and landed 3 more nice bows and missed a bunch more. All in all, a great day on what has to be the best tailwater around.

MikeC

Old 10-28-2008, 06:00 PM

Default Stockers

I'm not sure if it has been mention as I just skimmed this thread. but there are no brown stockers in south holston. they haven't stocked browns in a very long time. all browns you catch there are streamborn fish.
Josh
Old 10-29-2008, 09:25 PM

Shaggy, I'm glad you had a good day. In fact I have only fished the SOHO half a dozen times in the last two seasons and a few times about five years ago, and I have to agree. It ranks at the top. If you have patience and don't let it get to you when they are picky, it will eventually pay off.

Nice Brown indeed.