Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 10-21-2008, 09:54 AM

Default Coming in this weekend and need help...

Hey, folks! Coming into town this weekend (Friday thru Monday) and need a little help. I will be on a limited schedule as the wife has a new camera and is eager to try it out on the beauty of The Smokies. Some of you may recall I caught my first SMNP 'bow around Greenbriar (thanks for all the nice comments). Other than that area again, where are some other areas that I could hit while I'm driving around with the wife that would offer her some good photo opportunities and allow me to get a few minutes of fishing in at the same time? Sounds selfish, but trust me, she understands. Thanks in advance for your input.

TB
Old 10-21-2008, 10:56 AM

You can drive to the end of Treemont and fish by the parking lot at the end, or along the road. Or do the same at Elkmont (above or below the camp ground) or go by the chimneys and fish some. Those are just off the top of my head.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:30 PM

we went fishing oct, 12. went up to the end of the roadat tremont, walked across the footbridges, went upeven further. water was rrrrrreeeeaaaallll low. it was the same above elkmont. maybe some of the guys on here are used to it, but it was real difficult for my son and me. we found a lot more water down lower, a lot more people, but a lot more water. hope this helps! good luck and save some fish for us!!
Old 10-21-2008, 10:33 PM

guerillafish,

As you may have seen on the fishing report today, there is a 70% chance of rain on Friday and 40% on Saturday. You may want to bring some rain gear and some warm underlayers if you plan on fishing then and definitely some warmer clothes for Sunday and Monday. It's going to be getting pretty cool in the mornings (low 40's) so you may want to wait closer to mid day to do some fishing when it warms up a bit.

With the rain coming and the water levels hopefully responding, I would recommend going to the Elkmont campground and working your way up and down Little River from there. Great photo ops and some nice places for your wife to wander while you're fishing - also some really interesting shots of some of the old previously privately owned cabins that have fallen into disrepair but are still pretty facinating (to me at least).

And not far up the road (above Elkmont and on the way to Sugarlands) is Laurel Falls. Not much in the way of fishing but a really pretty falls for pictures that should be nice and full with the rain on Friday.

Just be ready to fish deeper with nymphs if the fish aren't hitting dries with the water temps going down.

Have a great visit and enjoy our mountains.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 10-22-2008, 10:00 AM

Thanks, folks. I appreciate the input as always.

TB