Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 10-21-2008, 10:56 PM

Default A Smokies Weekend

I've finally got the pictures from this past weekend on my computer and thought I would share a few here. We arrived at Smokemont on Thursday evening after a stop at LRO for some new waders and other necessities (yes, I need fishing gear ). Immediately after setting up and eating we went to bed so we would be ready to fish on Friday. The next morning we decided to hit up a couple of streams including Deep Creek and vicinity.

BWOs and midges were hatching with the somewhat cloudy conditions and fish were rising steadily in the pools. I spooked one big guy out of the tail of a pool but other than that didn't see any monsters. The one thing that surprised me was the number of people on the water but I still managed a few fish including this brown.

The next day we wanted a hike with a view so we headed to Andrews Bald. I had never done this hike before and it turned out to be a very nice walk to a bald with some great views. There were still a lot of clouds lingering making most of my pictures hazy at best but I still got a few including some of the colorful wild blueberry bushes.

Late that afternoon the rest of the group had to head back to Chattanooga so I got in a couple of hours on Straight Fork before heading back to camp to hit the sack in preparation for packing up and heading out the next day. The highlight of the fishing was two nice rainbows that hammered my October Caddis pattern. There were a few large caddis flying around and the fish apparently knew what to watch for...

Overall it was a great trip. The low water made things a bit tough but by being stealthy and making long casts the fish were still very hungry. Interestingly the front Friday morning didn't seem to put the fish down at all. They were still feeding the next two days...fall must definitely be here...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 10-21-2008, 11:29 PM

Nice fish David - BTW, I see those rainbows were from Straight Fork; it must be the way I fish, but I've caught fewer 'bows out of there than any other stream - it's either browns or brookies for me, depending on which section I hit. I think I can count the total number of 'bows from there on one hand. Anyway, I really like that stream - it has a little of everything, and I'm glad you got a chance to fish it before the road closes. I'm not sure what areas I'm going to hit in a month - probably Cataloochee (if it isn't too icy), and maybe some other areas on the N.C. side.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:35 AM

nice pics and fish
Old 10-22-2008, 12:27 PM

Great report as always David. Those some really nice looking bows from Straight Fork. I am surprised you didn't get into more browns on that stream.

Neal
Old 10-22-2008, 02:28 PM

Nice stuff...You sure you don't do this for a living?
Old 10-22-2008, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaiderFan View Post
Nice stuff...You sure you don't do this for a living?

Not yet...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 10-22-2008, 05:21 PM

How did you get so good at such a young age?
Old 10-22-2008, 08:56 PM

Quote:
How did you get so good at such a young age?
Lots, and lots, of practice. I had a chance to fish with him and I was amazed at how much water he covered on the Caney. I fished about a 100 yard section and he was almost out of sight. I believe he also worked at LRO this summer. Yes, I have an idol
Old 10-22-2008, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worrgamesguy View Post
Lots, and lots, of practice. I had a chance to fish with him and I was amazed at how much water he covered on the Caney. I fished about a 100 yard section and he was almost out of sight. I believe he also worked at LRO this summer. Yes, I have an idol

See that's where you went wrong...You should have been his shadow all day.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:32 PM

Quote:
See that's where you went wrong...You should have been his shadow all day.
I didn't want to be a nuisance, and I wanted to learn myself that way I could fish proficiently without having to shadow David, hindering him the entire day. But he did put me on a few fish that he knew were there, finished off my slam because of him.