Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 10-25-2008, 09:08 AM

Default equipment update and upgrade?

I have 6' 2 wt rod and it is a lot of fun with mountain fish. It is as different as goimg from streamers to dry flies when ya go for a longer rod. With that said my go to rod is still 9', Buy what you can get away with and enjoy. Buy from Little River Outfitters and support this board.
Old 10-25-2008, 09:44 AM

I like my 9ft for the tailwaters and originally an 8ft for the Park, but a 9footer has been in my hand more often than not because that extra foot helps out with highsticking in both the small and wider waters of the Smokies. You could also, if you were pressed and this its just for fun and a improvise and adapt technique like a bow and arrow cast - take your pole down in half to cast in in an tight water spot, that is if you couldn't "dap" (pretty much cane pole) your fly in a small pool...Years ago I fished Kanati Fork - its a tiny dribble of water on the NC side, There was this one area where the rhodo canopy was no more than 3-4feet high, breaking the rod down, crawling in on hands and knees was the only way to get a cast into a covered hole that has some of the most brilliant inked specs I've seen thus far...
Old 10-25-2008, 12:05 PM

I'm with the others. I like the longer rods more often than not.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:05 PM

Default Shorter vs Longer

I can give an opinion on this, because I had to make pretty much the same decision a few years back.

I had a 7 foot rod rod that I used for a few years in the mountains. It worked very well and caught a lot of fish. Then I decided I just needed a new rod. I tried a friends 8' rod on Jakes Creek and found that I had more line control. But, what really sold me was when I let out about two feet of leader, stuck the rod under some overhanging rhododendron, followed the current for a foot or so and picked up a nice little bow. The extra foot gave me more control with the fly and a little more reach.

I called Paula and bought an 8'-6" 3 wt TFO and I use it in the mountains everytime I go back.

To sum it up. For me, there is more control in the rod than in the line.

www.southeasternfly.com
Old 10-25-2008, 01:27 PM

It would be easier to say "ditto" - but not as much fun.

Here's my suggestion, simply because it's what I did. I got the 3wt fever since I fish the Park the majority of the time. I went thru the same process you're going thru now and settled on the 8'6" TFO 3wt. No regrets whatsoever. It's definitely my go to rod for the Park. But after some frustrating trips to streams such as Kanati Fork, I started wishing I had a shorter rod. I ended up buying a low end used 7' 3wt real cheap off another message board. It definitely has its purpose in my quiver of rods.

In short, buy the longer rod now and it will serve you well 90% of the time. When you find yourself with a few extra dollars, then pick up the shorter rod.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:53 AM

Default 6 footer

i have a 6ft cane rod---built for the smokey's--i hate it --its hard to nymph fish with it--and is hades to cast--don't know advantage to short barrell--i'll take that back--david redington makes a short fiberglass rod,a 6ft 6" that is fun to cast--it would work good in mountain streams--and economical too.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:22 PM

Looks like I am in the minority here....I love fishing the park with my smaller rods....long ago I became enamored with the idea of ultra light tackle....this led me to Orvis' 6'6" one ounce 2 Wt. rod....I have fished this rod in all the park's waters and have landed a 16" bow on the WPLP and a 14" brown on the LR....since my son has taken this rod for his own I now have a Diamondglas 3Wt in same length which I love to fish....as with all equipment the bottom line is personal preference....right now I am being tempted by Orvis' new line that has longer but lighter rods....but cannot justify the price right now.....I would suggest keeping an eye on eBay for a shorter rod and if you can find one for cheap then get it just to try....
Old 10-27-2008, 12:47 PM

I like my 7'6" 3wt. Once in a while, I wish it was longer but for the most part, it's a fun little rod to fish. Sometimes, a little length would be nice for longer casts on some of the warmwater streams I frequent and there are those times when another few inches would be good for high sticking and mending around currents, but even with my 9' 4wt, I still sometimes wish the rod was a couple inches longer. (no jokes OK>>>)

If I were to buy a rod just for the park, I'd probably go with an 8'6" or a 9'. But something in a 7'6" - 8' range would be a good all around small stream rod to have in your quiver.

Jeff
Old 10-27-2008, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog 1 View Post
Looks like I am in the minority here....I love fishing the park with my smaller rods....
Nope, I love fishing the short rods also. High sticking heavy nymphs is usually the most productive way to fish the park and a longer rod is definitely better, but after many years of doing just that and wearing out my shoulder, I prefer just throwing dries with a short 7ft full flexing 3 or 4 wt and enjoy the casting rhythms and fight of a small fish on a little lightweight rod. I still use the 8-9ft rods for tailwaters, but when spring comes in the park and the Quill gordons are popping, my little lami fiberglass 7ft 3wt. is a hoot!

Lauxier, if you like Dave R. rods, you would love some of the other lami builds over on fiberglass flyrodders. I am gonna have another Lami honey built for me in the 7.5ft 3piece 4wt. for smallies. The 3 and 4 piece models are even more full flexing than the 2 piece blanks.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:15 PM

Default troutman

those yellow fiber-lami's seem perfect for mountain streams-own a 3wt and a 6wt 8ft that casts great--have a scott fiberglass that is real good---and of course there is the winston retro's which are too expensive to fool with.I wish fishing folks would look closer at fiberglass rods-i think we have been fast actioned to death--cane and fiberglass are old timey but make the casting part of fishing fun.