Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 10-28-2008, 05:56 PM

So it's on Raven Fork, not the Oconoluftee?
Old 10-28-2008, 05:57 PM

Default NC License?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemEAngler View Post
Do you need a NC license to fish on reservation waters? Or does the daily tribal permit and the annual permit cover you?

Travis
No, no NC license is required. The daily permit and the annual trophy permit will cover.

Dave
Old 10-28-2008, 06:09 PM

Default Location?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pineman19 View Post
So it's on Raven Fork, not the Oconoluftee?
It starts below the confluence of the two streams (most references site Ocono) and ends at or just above where the two come together.

i.e.,

"For the first time, a 2.2-mile stretch of trophy trout streams on the Cherokee reservation-managed Oconaluftee and Raven Fork rivers will be open to the general public."

"The designated Trophy Trout Catch and Release Fly-Fishing Only Area, starting at the Blue Ridge Parkway Bridge and ending just downstream of the River Valley Campground/Stoney Curve, will be marked with new fishing regulation signs posted at the start, end, and along sections of rivers that indicate regulations in effect."

Dave
Old 10-28-2008, 08:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to Speckleman5 Send a message via Yahoo to Speckleman5

I'm glad to see this as it will keep the pressure off the streams with fish that represent where we are...I had a guy ask me about the tribal waters yesterday as I was fishing Deep Creek in the snow.....if he only knew....
Old 11-03-2008, 11:23 AM

Talking Heading there this weekend

So I'll need to get the tribal permit and pay 20 more dollars to fish that section? I can't wait to get out there. What was the hot fly for the day?
Old 11-03-2008, 08:16 PM

Default ton of fish

Im friends with a guy that helped stock the trout in this section. He told me they stocked 2000 pounds of fish and 90% of them where over 20in. He said they will stock 3 times a year. But on the down side they arent feeding them as of yet but he said if this section is a sucsess they will start using feeders. And they are patroling this section very heavy and you will be checked by them. Probably more than once.

Check out my gallery.....
http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h2...FISHIN%20PICS/
Old 11-12-2008, 05:33 PM

No all you need is the annual permit which 20 bucks, and then the daily permit which is 7 bucks a day. I fished there on Vet day and the fish are getting smarter, because the river is getting pounded by anglers. The fish are huge, but the water is extremely low right now, hope we get some rain for all our Western NC streams. I talked to the biologist in charge there at the trophy strech and they are planning some cool stuff for the river, stay tuned!
Old 11-13-2008, 10:25 AM

Default License check

boy let me tell you they are out there checking. was out last weekend and got checked 4 out of for days. and the guy that was checking had such a bad attitude. Seemed like he was offended that we were fishing in his waters or something. More annoying than anything. Flashing blue lights at us and everything. good thing I had my permit in order along with a photo ID. Kind of stuff that will make people fish somewhere else.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:07 PM

I fished it the other day. we saw officials, they said "Hi" but didn't check us.

Fishing for the big guys was as technical as any other high-pressure trophy stream I've fished. My impression is that these fish have become quickly educated. I caught some of the rainbows, but was unable to land one of the golden trout. I think people are targeting them a little more (I was at least) and they have therefore gotten smarter than their rainbow counterpart.

Other than the larger fish, they've stocked some normal size fish in there as well. there is excellent fishing to be had for rainbows, browns, and brooks in the 12-16" range.

what's to keep these fish from running into the park?
Old 11-13-2008, 01:36 PM

I know that some of the stockers from Gatlinburg have made their way upstream....will be interesting to see if this will happen above Cherokee or even into Straight Fork.