Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Old 10-29-2008, 02:49 PM

Default It's Cold Down Here

Cedar Key, Florida. We arrived on Sunday. It's cold. Last night the temperature dropped down to 39 degrees. Today the high was 55 degrees no matter what the weather sites say. There is no wind, it is sunny and the redfish should be ready for a fly. One problem...Hypothermia. We don't have wetsuits or dry suits. In a kayak you are wet all the time. And, if you happen to fall off you are very wet and far from the condo. I spent the day looking at wetsuits and drysuits online. That was a lot of fun! Can't buy them here. Wish we had some of those. Tomorrow will be better. We have not been out yet. The kayaks are ready to launch. Tomorrow looks better. We are ready.

Byron
Old 10-29-2008, 03:25 PM

Hey Byron,

Hope conditions improve and you guys get some fishing in. It's tough to plan a fishing trip and then not get to do any fishing. But I'm sure you guys know how to make the most out of the trip. Hard to believe it is that cold down there. Good luck when you do get out.

Mike
Old 10-29-2008, 03:29 PM

Thanks Mike,

We are still having a good time. Things look better as the week goes on. Dry suits are are on the Christmas list.

Byron
Old 10-29-2008, 06:42 PM

Too bad you haven't been out yet but I'm sure it is still great to be on vacation. No Wapsi down there... Hope you are able to get out tomorrow and have a great time!
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://troutzoneanglers.com
http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com

Old 10-29-2008, 08:32 PM

Hi David,

Thanks for mentioning Wapsi on my vacation! (What David is talking about is our largest fly tying supplier, Wapsi. It takes a day to make a Wapsi order and another day to receive it. We call it Wapsi ****! We are one of their largest cutomers. I'm sure they call our orders LRO ****! David knows all about this, he worked at the shop this summer and took care of the Wapsi orders and did a great job. When I do a Wapsi order I can barely get out of bed the next day because of the stooping and stretching to scan the bar codes from ceiling to floor).

We'll be on the water soon David. We miss having your here. I hope you are having a good time student teaching. It was great to see you on your trip to Smokemont.

Your friend always,

Byron
Old 10-29-2008, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Begley View Post
When I do a Wapsi order I can barely get out of bed the next day because of the stooping and stretching to scan the bar codes from ceiling to floor).
Byron, I hate to think of you in all that suffering. Perhaps I should come order for you so you don't have to...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://troutzoneanglers.com
http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com

Old 10-29-2008, 10:35 PM

Default Cold Fishing

Hope things get better for yall Byron. Back when i live on the coast of NC, we'd fish untl mid november on the surf, but you hated to get wet, it's just like you said, once you get wet, you just want to go home. I did see in the paper today that its gonna be near 80 down thata way starting tomorrow. Hope you catch some big ones. Good luck! Hold on tight!

"We try to be perfect, but we're only fishermen. We wade out into the water, we don't walk on top of it."
Old 10-30-2008, 10:24 AM

Default weather

Byron you seem to be snake bit on the weather in Florida. You came in September during the worst Northeaster all year. We had marvelous weather as soon as you left, until two days before you returned. Now its the first cold front of the year. When do you go back to Tennessee? I am sure the temperature will return to the 80's on the day after. There is a Gander Mt. store in Ocala, maybe you can give them a call. There is a dive shop at Ginnie Springs (386-454-718. Cave diving is big there and wet suits a must as the spring water is 72' year round. I have seen some wet suits there. I believe they rent too.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:19 AM

Default Too windy for kayaks?

Hello Byron and Paula,

Sorry the wind is not in your favor, and it doesn't look as if it is going to get any calmer for the next few days. If you need a ride I'm open Fri. or Sat, give me a call. 352-339-5844. I'm due a trip since returning from Townsend. P.S. Thanks Paula, for un-BANNING me.....

Herb
Old 10-30-2008, 02:29 PM

GB, People are going to start calling me "Bad Weather Begley". Maybe tomorrow will be better.

Herb, Thanks buddy. We hope to get out tomorrow. Paula has yet to paddle her new boat. Tomorrow night is the big Holloween Party here in town. We have costumes. It's a big deal down here. Maybe we'll see you on the water. I'm sure I'll recognize you. You sorta stand out if you know what I mean. (Herb is almost 7' tall)

Thanks to all of our Florida friends who have helped us with the fishing down here. All of you have been extremely helpful and friendly. I have found that to be a common trait in this area. We are already making plans for next year.

We just got back from Southern Cross and bought a bag of clams. They are a very large clam farm here. The owner is having health issues and the business is for sale. The price is reduced from $4 Million. They are nice folks. I hate to see this. Cedar Key is the largest clam producer in Florida. When the net ban put all of the fishermen out of work they learned how to raise clams. The State of Florida and the University of Florida figured out this industry and taught the fishermen how to do it. I think there are about 200 clammers working here not including the other businesses that process, market and service the clamming industry. Total population here is about 700. I can see the leased farms from our balcony. There is always a guard out there in a boat. Each clammer chips in a monthly fee to keep a guard out there. For an interesting story Google "Clam Farming Cedar Key Florida". And, if you are a hard working business person with an extra 4 mil laying around here is a great opportunity. Cedar Key would be a great place to live. It is a great place to visit.

Byron

Last edited by Byron Begley; 10-30-2008 at 02:45 PM..