Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 10-31-2008, 09:16 PM

Default Elk & the warm spill

Fished the Elk this week and did OK with buggers and trailing midges. However, my concern is the 400cfs of warm water spilling into the river. It did not feel like trout water. I know about the mussel and darter downstream and their need for warmer flows. Anybody got more info on this? Even close to the dam, I doubt the trout can tolerate this bath water for long. Is this fishery in big trouble?
Old 11-01-2008, 07:29 AM

It's been in trouble for many years, i've heard some good reports lately though, always seems to comeback during the winter.

Grumpy
Old 11-02-2008, 07:15 PM

I was over on the Elk today. My first time up by the dam. I wasn't fishing, just had my lab out for a swim while in the area. I saw quite e few small fish rising to what looked like midges. The water felt fairly cold to me, but I didn't actually check the temp either. Would have been a great day for a float.

mstone
Old 11-04-2008, 08:17 PM

Post Water Temperature

Mike,
Fished the Elk below the dam today. Not much luck.
The water temperature was 60 degrees. Kinda high for November.
Breakfast Thursday morning?
Old 11-04-2008, 09:09 PM

Default The Elk at 500CFS

I've fished the river 3 times since they started the elevated flows. Actually it's helping the river as things are much cleaner now and the fish are moving around.

In fact I was fishing when Mstone was there with his Lab. I managed a dozen or so fish on soft hackles. The first day I fished the higher flow I managed about 20 once I figured out where the heck the fish were hiding. They have moved around quite a bit, but if you use your head you'll find them.

We're going back up on Thursday and I expect another "full day" of fun on the river... I'll double check temps, but the water wasn't warm on Sunday.

Do bring your wading staff if your a bit unsteady on your feet, the increased flows make the possibility of a bath higher these days.

They also seem to be doing a bit of "pulsing" for some reason. They'll open things up for about 15 minutes, and then shut it back down. Just make sure that if you're down stream and you think the water is rising... get the heck out of the water!!!

Ralph
Old 11-05-2008, 04:22 PM

Default Spillage

Cz, I was on the Elk last Thursday and saw someonre with a black lab near the bridge. I was down by the fallen tree. Fishing was fine, but the water felt very warm to me. Wet wading would have been easy. The warmer flows will eventually take a toll on the trout. IRFishing had a hard day this week and he is a good fisherman. Several days of warm water may be wearing the fish down. Let us know how you do. Monktrout
Old 11-07-2008, 10:53 AM

Post Elk River

Don't know what TVA is trying to do. Don't think trout are a concern.
They generate sometime, they release approx. 400 cfs over the spillway sometime and they release approx 200cfs sometime.
Tuesday the flow was high, over 60 degrees and coming over spillway. Yesterday morning they generated. About 3pm the flow was low and about 50 degree.
Wonder if this keeps the fish confused. Perhaps my fishing skills need work!