Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 11-02-2008, 08:43 PM

Default Caney Fork 11/02/08

Well guys, I was able to break away and go fishing for a few hours today. I got a late start due to bringing my girlfriend and a buddy of mine, but I'm glad I had someone to go with me. I got there an hour or so after they stopped generating, and got to use my brand new Simms Freestone waders and boots. I love them!

But I started at the stairs under the dam and worked my way across the river, when I saw this flashing about every 10 seconds. The rainbows are spawning... The flashing was one of two in a redd beating his tail on the streambed. I walked around them, and I came up to a hole FULL of browns. There were 2 browns in there that were 20"+ with ease, and all the rest were about 12-14". I only got a few strikes out of there, but no takes from the larger ones. I sat there watching the biggest one chasing smaller trout running them off. A little disheartened, I questioned even going to Happy Hollow after that.

I decided that I would give Happy Hollow a try, the water was still pretty high up and I kept catching the tip of my rod. So I was extremely flustered, when I FINALLY got it out there long enough to get a strike on my first good cast. I caught a fat 10" brookie, and then I cast a little farther downstream and caught a larger brookie, except I caught him on his fin! I was wondering why he was swimming funny when I was reeling him in. The only thing I could figure was the tippet between the midge and my indicator hit him in the face, causing my indicator to bounce, and I hooked him in the fin. I also caught a decent rainbow, and I kept getting tangles so I just called it a day with 3 fish. I thought I was gonna be skunked for sure!
Old 11-02-2008, 08:57 PM

Default Here's and idea

Ill take you fishing on the Soho if you'll take me on the Cane.

Check out my gallery.....
http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h2...FISHIN%20PICS/
Old 11-02-2008, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wynnsman View Post
Ill take you fishing on the Soho if you'll take me on the Cane.
Sounds good to me, man. If gas breaks under $2.00, I'll come out there for sure! I filled up yesterday for $25.15. I'm not sure that I would be the best "guide," but I'd be happy to have someone who knows a thing or two with me. If you're any good at fly fishing, you can catch fish on the Caney. I can do it and I'm still no good.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worrgamesguy View Post
Well guys, I was able to break away and go fishing for a few hours today. I got a late start due to bringing my girlfriend and a buddy of mine, but I'm glad I had someone to go with me. I got there an hour or so after they stopped generating, and got to use my brand new Simms Freestone waders and boots. I love them!

But I started at the stairs under the dam and worked my way across the river, when I saw this flashing about every 10 seconds. The rainbows are spawning... The flashing was one of two in a redd beating his tail on the streambed. I walked around them, and I came up to a hole FULL of browns. There were 2 browns in there that were 20"+ with ease, and all the rest were about 12-14". I only got a few strikes out of there, but no takes from the larger ones. I sat there watching the biggest one chasing smaller trout running them off. A little disheartened, I questioned even going to Happy Hollow after that.

I decided that I would give Happy Hollow a try, the water was still pretty high up and I kept catching the tip of my rod. So I was extremely flustered, when I FINALLY got it out there long enough to get a strike on my first good cast. I caught a fat 10" brookie, and then I cast a little farther downstream and caught a larger brookie, except I caught him on his fin! I was wondering why he was swimming funny when I was reeling him in. The only thing I could figure was the tippet between the midge and my indicator hit him in the face, causing my indicator to bounce, and I hooked him in the fin. I also caught a decent rainbow, and I kept getting tangles so I just called it a day with 3 fish. I thought I was gonna be skunked for sure!

Spawning 'bows, really? I thought the 'bows spawned each spring, and the browns spawned in the fall. No?
Old 11-03-2008, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crick Addict View Post
Spawning 'bows, really? I thought the 'bows spawned each spring, and the browns spawned in the fall. No?
That's what I thought, I remember reading that rainbows spawned in the spring but they were definitely rainbows. I could see the silver, black, and red clearly because I was seriously 3 feet away from them. If I had a net, reached it out arm length, and dropped it, it would hit them.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:05 PM

There are fall spawning rainbows, it just depends on the strain they are. I believe that there might be some fall spawning rainbows in the Caney because I have seen some large female 'bows on redds like they are spawning not to mention that some of the rainbows I've caught lately are colored up much more than usual. There will be a lot of rainbows around the brown trout redds eating the eggs as well though so it can be hard to tell...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 11-04-2008, 07:27 PM

The one 'bow I caught was a dull silver and black, he had zero pink on him. I hope I'm not working on Sunday because I wanna get back out there. I tried fishing an egg pattern but it would not sink at all. I tried a BHPT, not even a look. I tried olive, red, and black zebra midges and only got strikes on black. Picky...
Old 11-04-2008, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worrgamesguy View Post
The one 'bow I caught was a dull silver and black, he had zero pink on him. I hope I'm not working on Sunday because I wanna get back out there. I tried fishing an egg pattern but it would not sink at all. I tried a BHPT, not even a look. I tried olive, red, and black zebra midges and only got strikes on black. Picky...
Use a couple small split shot to get the flies down that don't have much weight (I've been using 3 #8 or 2 #6 split shot under an indicator lately)...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com