Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 11-04-2008, 11:07 PM

Default 10/24-26 Deep Creek #57...Browns

Hey all, I thought folks might be interested in a backcountry trip I took with my wife Regan (we just got married, in Townsend, on 10/1, up to the Bryson Place, as part of our honeymoon (spent in and around the Smokies, mostly on the NC side, for a couple weeks after). Regan being the wonderful woman she is, she encouraged me to fish pretty much all day on 10/25, and I ended up having one of the most ridiculously marvellous days of fishing I can recall, certainly my personal best in the Smokies.

It was our first trip up Deep Creek, what a beautiful place, and the weather on our way in on 10/24 was pretty wet; then shortly after arriving at campsite #57, the rain really started dumping down, and lasted through the evening. Fortunately, we had brought along a big tarp as added weather protection, above our tent and rainfly, and the rain subsided by morning, eventually giving way to clear skies. The silver lining to the rain was the recharged stream that Saturday, with higher flows and water colored up a bit, and some leaves flowing downstream, just enough to make the trout feel a bit safer and more aggressive.

And what a day it was. I caught somewhere around 15 fish for the day, a few Rainbows (about 4, including one fat fish that went 12"), but mostly Browns (about 6 of these were 7-12"), and the exceptional part of it was that 5 of these were 14" or better--two at 14" or so, one 15", one 16-17", and the highlight of the day, a 20" male Brown trout that rose for a #10 orange-bodied Neversink caddis in early evening in a long flat run; a thick-bodied, beautiful and strong fish (the trout in the Smokies really are something else, special fish). In fact, other than the 16-17" Brown above that I caught on a #10 brown Girdle bug nymph, all the fish were caught on the same #10 Neversink Caddis pattern, on 5X. I also spooked another Brown around 20", several others in the 14-15" range, and hooked and lost one other Brown in early afternoon (on the #10 brown Girdle Bug) that was at least 20" (I got a good look at the fish before it charged up a deep run and spit out the fly). Whoah.

While I would love to attribute the day purely to skill and prowess, the water conditions, and some dumb luck of being in the right place at the right time, had at least as much to do with being successful. I also strongly suspect that the rise in the water levels got the Browns thinking about spawning, because on our way out on 10/26, I briefly fished a few runs again with Regan looking on, and while I landed a couple of fat, 10-11" wild bows, I saw no Browns at all, and I have a suspicion these fish proceeded upstream overnight, to spawn in upper tributaries. Whatever, the case, I felt like I hit the jackpot on 10/25, it was a day to remember, and I certainly felt fortunate, and humbled too by the wild beauty of the fish, and this lovely stream.

So, a great backcountry trip, and in addition to my wife and the fortuitous weather/stream conditions, I have to thank Craig (mtnman) on this site, who gave me the idea to visit Deep Creek and the Bryson Place from his trip there last fall--Thanks!

Oh, and by the way, I did take some pics of the place and some of the trout caught and released, including some of the nice ones (I showed a couple photos of the 20" Brown to Daniel at LRO, he mentioned it in the 11/02 fishing report), and I will try my best to post these images on here as soon as I can, as well as photos of some other destinations and trout caught on our honeymoon (I have never done it on this site before, so I'll have to find the directions that Paula posted on a thread here earlier this year...).

Tight lines, Iain
Old 11-04-2008, 11:45 PM

Sounds like you had one helluva week westslope! Can't wait to see the pics.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:10 AM

Great report Westslope! Deep Creek is a great place. I caught my personal best wild brown on Deep Creek around the same time you were there, not near as big as your fish, but still a nice fish. I hope to spend more time exploring this stream next season instead of focusing on the TN side like I have in the past.

Look forward to your pics.

Neal
Old 11-05-2008, 10:32 AM

Sounds like a great trip glad it went well for you. Deep creek is a special place indeed and one that will hopefully remain that way.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:29 PM

Sounds like a great trip! Glad you had a good time...I'm looking forward to some pictures!
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 11-06-2008, 10:29 AM

yeah, ready for pics here too.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:47 PM

I've been waiting all day on the pics! I leave for NC in about an hour and with the rain expected tomorrow, I'm dreaming of a good day on Saturday. Of course it most likely won't turn out that way.
Old 11-06-2008, 02:17 PM

Hey all, so here are some of the pics from the trip, sorry you had to wait, I finally figured out how to post images (although they might still be a bit large)...

Here is a photo of an 11-12" Brown:

Here's a 12" Rainbow (the best bow of the trip, and fat):

A pic of Deep Creek:

A photo of a 14" Brown:

A photo of a 15" Brown (note one of the Neversink Caddis with hackle unwound, the fish really nailed this pattern):

And a couple pics of the large Brown of the trip, a good 19", not quite 20 when seen in the image against the rod, but a beautiful, thick male fish all the same:

And one last photo of Deep Creek--the big guy above came out of the heart of this run:

Alright, hope these do, I'll post some other pics from our trip when we were not in the backcountry (some from Road Prong, WPLP, etc.) in the near future.

Iain
Old 11-06-2008, 02:27 PM

man those browns are amazing! Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-06-2008, 02:56 PM

WOW! That's amazing