Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 11-09-2008, 09:29 PM

Default Mad River / Little Miami R.

I spent this weekend in Dayton Ohio area visiting my wife's family. Was surprised to see the Mad River there, thought it was further north, and west maybe. I asked her brothers what they might know about fishing it, but didn't get a lot of info. I'm guessing that in that part of the state, the river might hold some smallies, and that maybe I should take some gear next time we go up there.
Anyone know specifics on either the Mad or the Little Miami, or any other good streams -- wade access, etc?

sb
Old 11-10-2008, 01:07 PM

Steve,
I live about an hour or so south of Dayton (Northern Kentucky). I've never fished the Mad but have fished the Little Miami in a few different places. It's a pretty typical midwest stream. Smallmouth, Largemouth Bass, Pumpkinseed, bluegill, rockbass, catfish, some carp, some white bass and in some areas, hybrids, etc. Nice stream. I've fished it with others so I'm not sure about access but it winds its way through much of SW Ohio and there are canoe rental place all up and down the stream where you could rent a canoe to float fish the stream too.

About a 2 hour drive west of Dayton is Brookville, Indiana. The tailwater below Brookville Lake has some nice trout fishing. Typical Browns and Bows and typical tailwater (take a lot of #20 midges, scuds, and little nypmphs and some hoppers and ants in the summer). There are some big (18"+ browns) in the stream but the typical catch is in the 12-16" range.

Again, I'm not terribly familiar with fishing in the Dayton area but there should be plenty of places to wet a line in the area.

Jeff
Old 11-10-2008, 01:55 PM

I'd second the thought about Brookville Tailwaters. It is a really nice stream. The water is usually very clear and you must use light line and small flies, but there are some really nice browns to be caught!
Old 11-10-2008, 08:38 PM

Though I never fished the Mad I do remember researching it when I was looking for something within driving distance from southwest Indiana. It is too far for me but as I recall it is stocked with trout. I am thinking that I also learned that smallies are present. Probably worth a try.

Here is link for one of the local groups. They can probably give you better info.

http://www.buckeyeflyfishers.com/mad_river/madriver.htm
Old 11-15-2008, 10:42 AM

hey Steve.....you can check out the fishing report at www.madriveroutfitters.com . Don't expect the type of report that Byron gives but there is some info......

I fish the Mad around the Urbana and West Liberty area......stocked mostly browns it seems, but bows are there

tail hooked a 4lb carp there once and had fun for almost an hour before landing it.....

God Bless & Good Fishing
bob
Jeremiah 29:13
Old 11-15-2008, 03:46 PM

Default Thanks guys

I've been researching around on the net, and I think most likely I'll try the Little Miami first, since it's very close to where her family lives. Maybe when I have more time, I can head further up on the Mad, appears there are trout in the upper sections.

sb
Old 11-17-2008, 03:21 PM

Steve,

Try calling A&N Outfitters in Cincinnati. They are a relatively new fly shop right on the Little Miami and they guide on that river a lot for warmwater species. My brother went out with them last month and they were fishing for hybrid stripers. I believe their number is 513-444-4009
Old 11-17-2008, 07:46 PM

Default Mad River and Little Miami Rivers

I have been fishing both rivers for years.

If you are interested in fishing the Mad for trout, you will have to go upstream from Dayton. The trout waters start North of the town West Liberty and go South just North of Springfield. My favorite spot is from the route 36 bridge West of Urbana downstream to the Old Troy Pike bridge. I almost always take at least one brown in that stretch. My buddy fished there a couple of weeks ago and although the water was low and gin clear, he still caught four trout in about three hours. The Mad is a good river on down toward Dayton for smallies and the river lives up to its name with several areas of rapid waters which are great for smallies.

The Little Miami is a great river for your usual warm water fishing.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhawg View Post
If you are interested in fishing the Mad for trout, you will have to go upstream from Dayton. The trout waters start North of the town West Liberty and go South just North of Springfield. My favorite spot is from the route 36 bridge West of Urbana downstream to the Old Troy Pike bridge.
I am heading up to Ohio this weekend for a in-law gathering and thinking about hitting this section of the mad river. Anyone know what the water levels are and how this section has been fishing?

I really don't know anything about this river and I'm curious if it is easy to wade and if the canoe outfitters are ok with people wading up to and past their locations.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:45 PM

Hey Granny -

I still haven't fished up there, but what I saw of the Mad near Dayton was pretty wide and shallow -- I'd think the wading would be easy enough.

sb