Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 11-10-2008, 01:03 PM

Default SoHo November 7-8

I fished the SoHo Friday, Saturday, and Sunday morning with seven friends and had a great time. Friday was an absolutely beautiful warm day. We started out down river as they were running water for three hours in the morning. There wasn't much action for us, just a few on small midge immitations (strippers). In the afternoon we headed up river and fished about 1/2 mile below the weirs and were into a nice sulphur hatch (about 1-3 pm). The flies coming off were in the size 18 range and we had a lot of luck with the splitback nymphs that the SoHo FF shop up there sells.

On Saturday, the weather started out pretty raw with winds 20+ mph. We headed up river again and had a few on midges again. Around lunchtime we headed up river to catch the sulphurs and they came off again at about 1 pm. The fish were a bit more choosy this time (maybe because of the lower water?) and we struggled for a few on comparaduns and the splitbacks. Eventually I gave up on matching the hatch and wandered away from the crowds and decided to try out the deep slow water and dredge with some nymph's. This turned out to be the trick of the day. I fished an indicator (yarn) with a stripper about 3 ft deep and drifted slowly over some fishy looking holes and immediately started taking fish. I ended up with about 6-8 browns in a couple of hours including a couple over 15 inches and I fought a 20+" brown for several minuted before he threw the hook back at me when I tried to work him into the shallow water.

Sunday morning we fished for a couple of hours above the weir and caught a few small stocker 'bows. The highlight of the morning was watching a couple of guys pull out an 8-10 lb brown out of the weir pool that they caught on a streamer. To my delight and the utter shock of most of the observers on the weir, they gently coaxed him back in the water and released it.

A great weekend on the water as always. It seems to me that SoHo never fails to produce if you are flexible in your flies and methods. With so many fish per mile, you are bound to get into a few. We'll hit 'em again in the spring.

Dave
Old 11-10-2008, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinciVol View Post
The highlight of the morning was watching a couple of guys pull out an 8-10 lb brown out of the weir pool that they caught on a streamer. To my delight and the utter shock of most of the observers on the weir, they gently coaxed him back in the water and released it.
Dave
Cinci,
I can only imagine the looks on their faces. However, I get the feeling that there are more people practicing C&R on the SoHo than on any of the other tailwaters in the area.

The approach you mentioned above is my favorite technique on both the SoHo and the Clinch. I find a nice stretch of slow deep water and bounce a #20 - 22 midge nymph along the bottom. This is water that lots of other people overlook in their search for moving water. It takes a lot more patience, but I find it so much more rewarding...

Great report by the way! Glad you were able to get out and enjoy this beautiful weather.

Travis

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 11-10-2008, 06:45 PM

Default soho

Thanks for the report. I was there Satuday and had a crap day. I landed one good brown on a streamer near the wiers and lost the rest. Glad you figured them out.

Check out my gallery.....
http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h2...FISHIN%20PICS/