Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Photography

Old 11-10-2008, 10:58 PM

Default What camera for on the river??

I am currently in the "giving my wife Christmas ideas" mode as I am apparently "hard to shop for"!
I would like a small compact camera that I can keep in my vest or inside my waders while I fish so that I can snap a pic of that perfect 'bow or spec. What do you guys reccommend? I don't want to trade quality for cost, but don't want something horribly expensive just in case it does get wet.
Also what do you guys suggest for keeping it dry. Are there waterproof models, or is there a dry sack/case that isn't too bulky?
Thanks
Old 11-11-2008, 12:29 AM

Default camera

Todd I have a olympus790 sw it is 7.2 mp very slim and easy to carry and the best part it is waterproof to 10 feet and shock proof. I have taken pictures with the camera under water no problems. It is easy to hold the fish in one hand and take a picture with the other. I baptized mine the fist week end I bought it and unfortunatley for me I'm Baptist so I did the full dunking and it survied.I think a lot of people have the pentax waterproof but I am very pleased with the Olympus.Go to the fly fishing other states part of the forum and look at "Bill & Scott's excellent adventure all those picture were taken with the olympus. Scott has the same camera as I do. Hope this helps
Old 11-22-2008, 09:51 PM

Pentax makes some nice compact water proof cameras as well. I have a WP20 that is 7mp that I have been pleased with. I wish the camera had an eye piece viewfinder, but other than that I have been pleased with it's performance. I think you can pick up the wp20 & wp30 for a little over $200 bucks. I saw where they have a new wp60 that is a 10mp but I didn't see enought additional features otherwise to justify the additional price.

Old 11-22-2008, 10:03 PM

Default Another Olympus Option

Take a look at the Olympus Stylus 850SW. It is small enough to fit in your vest pocket, is waterproof and shockproof with 8.0 mp. Beware of carrying a camera in your vest pocket, though. I had one fly out of my vest pocket (with velcro) when I involuntarily took a leap off a WPLP boulder. Since then I carry it (my second one) in a side pocket of my cargo pants.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 11-22-2008, 11:00 PM

re are some photos taken with my Olympus Stylus 790SW. I think there is an 8XX one out now that has 8mp resolutin but essentially the same camera.

Old 11-23-2008, 06:09 PM

I have a Pentax WP 30. I like it pretty well. I am used to an SLR which has a very fast autofocus. You have to wait for the WP 30 to focus and it doesn't do it well in dim light. But for fishing shots it is fine during the day. I have to admit that I have not read the manual completely so I could be missing something or maybe a lot.

Byron
Old 11-23-2008, 11:49 PM

Byron,
Men don't need no manual, or no stinking directions either
Old 11-26-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyman View Post
Byron,
Men don't need no manual, or no stinking directions either
That's right!

I also have the Pentax W30. Great little camera for fishermen.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:26 PM

If I learned anything in Ranger School forty (40?) years ago it is to tie down everything with "dummy cords." Inside the corner of vest pockets is sewn a piece of parachute cord, minus the innards so the bulk is cut down, with a snap swivel sewn into the other end. Check length from pocket to pocket to make them a comfortable but not too long length. Snap fly boxes to cords for easy on-off. Attach any and everything in your vest to a cord, and "lost" gear is no more. Watson
Old 06-19-2009, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd_grainger View Post
I am currently in the "giving my wife Christmas ideas" mode as I am apparently "hard to shop for"!
I would like a small compact camera that I can keep in my vest or inside my waders while I fish so that I can snap a pic of that perfect 'bow or spec. What do you guys reccommend? I don't want to trade quality for cost, but don't want something horribly expensive just in case it does get wet.
Also what do you guys suggest for keeping it dry. Are there waterproof models, or is there a dry sack/case that isn't too bulky?
Thanks
We use the Canon Powershots, they have a large viewing screen for quick accurate locating of your subject, has macro mode for closeups of trout and thier flys they eat! And of course since it flat it fits perfectly in its little case in the top left hand pouch of your flyvest. - easily accessible.
They run anywhere from about 199-350 depending on the model and is far cheaper to smash that on a rock (or BOULDER) after a slip or fall in the GSMP than a real nice SLR.
Most are waterproof for +20 feet so a quick dunking wont hurt them, and you dont need a waterproof case.

Hw3 mentioned about the dummy cords and thats and excellent idea to add to them

Tags
camera