Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 12-01-2008, 09:22 AM

Default Clinch 11-30

Fished the Clinch below the weir dam on Sunday in the rain. I tried out the weir pool for a little while with a couple of midge pupae hung deep below an indicator. Didn't get anything that felt like a bite, I've never tried that method before, and I have a frighteningly short attention span, so I became antsy and headed down below the weirs. I ended up with about 6 fish in an hour or so including a 14" brown and a 12" brookie, both of which were gorgeous. I did hook into a larger brown who made quick work of my 7x when he headed into a tree snag, a very exciting 2-3 seconds! I caught all my fish on a jujubaetis (size 22, I think) that I bought at LRO. That's the only fly I used, so others may have worked as well or better.

It was a nice day to be out. I'll take 40 degrees and rain over sunny and crowded any day. In fact, as soon as the rain stopped, two guys swooped down and started fishing about 40 ft below me (fly fishermen). They had the whole river below us open, but apparently the run I was on was just too tempting. I took that as a sign to pack it in, just in time to watch a guy catch a slot-sized brown and let it flop around on the weir grates for about 5 minutes while he talked to his buddy.

I think the Clinch below the dam will continue to only be a weekday or foul weather option for me.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:51 PM

Thanks for the report CinciVol, I am really starting to get Clinch withdrawal. I need to get back over there soon. I know that back in the summer I had heard some reports that TWRA was patrolling the weir dam daily and issuing a good number of citations. I fear though that with the primary catch-n-keep season being over that they have laxed their patrols and the over fishing will resume.

I don't think anybody can argue the fact that the fishery this year has been far better than the previous few years. And, I like to contribute that to the slot limit and the majority of ethical fisherman who abide by the rules.

Travis

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler