Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

View Poll Results: Do you check the report?
Yes- It's always right 0 0%
Yes- It's mostly right 7 33.33%
Yes- It's rarely right 1 4.76%
Yes- It's never right 0 0%
No 7 33.33%
Sometimes 6 28.57%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-12-2008, 02:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to JimmyC

Just go fishing. If you're any good, you'll catch something.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemEAngler View Post
Trey,
This is the condition I prefer to fish in if I can. As Monk said, I don't have total freedom of picking a day at random and heading to the river. However, if I have an entire weekend to choose one day to fish, I will go on the cloudy day. I firmly believe it all comes back to what you have confidence in. If you feel that you can't catch anything on rainy days, you are going to be less likely to put in as much effort. Same goes for fly selection, people tend to gravitate to a particular pattern because they have had success with it in the past. Granted, the BHPT and zebra midge are very good patterns in their own right, they are common go-to patterns for lots of fisherman.

Fish when you can, enjoy each day, try to learn something new each trip, and develop your own comfort/confidence techniques and flys. The fish eat everyday, it is just a matter of finding out what they are eating and altering your approach to match their mood.

Keep asking questions, it helps you to develop as a fisherman. I can see the results of your inquisitiveness each successive fishing report you post.

Travis
Haha well thank you. Are you saying to step outside of the box and try something other than zebra midges and BHPTs once in awhile? I don't have much more than that in my fly box I've got a larger fly box, and the upper row is nothing but zebra midges. The next row is scuds and BHPTs, and I have a lot of EHCs for indicator use. There are also a few BWOs, mosquito imitations, San Juan worms, and streamers like buggers and muddler minnows. Basically, the Caney flybox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyC View Post
Just go fishing. If you're any good, you'll catch something.
Sometimes "good" just doesn't cut it!

EDIT: I will say that I think I am better than a lot of fly fishermen I see on the Caney. Most still have trouble casting more than about 15 feet without line problems, slap the water on both forward and backwards cast, and have a HUGE loop. I haven't been fishing long, but it does help my confidence.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:12 PM

I agree with Jimmy C. If you are any good you can always catch something. I think the two best times to fish are when its raining and when its not.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3wt View Post
I agree with Jimmy C. If you are any good you can always catch something. I think the two best times to fish are when its raining and when its not.
That's not always correct, though. I'm sure people like Lefty Kreh and Joan Wulff still get skunked a few times a year. Is it their fault for not being better fishers? No. Although it is hard to get skunked on the Caney, it happens!
Old 11-18-2008, 08:10 PM

Back when I was in my teens, we would look at the lunar cycles before we went bass fishing. I sort of remember that there was some small truth about fishing being better during a full moon (day or night fishing).
Old 11-19-2008, 01:32 PM

Default yes - correct most of the time

This was my vote. I mainly saltwater fish though and lunar cycles are linked to tide cycles. A favorable tide and moving water is the key.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:31 PM

Default Yep

Trey,
I allways try to check the Solunar Calendar. From my personal experience i have found that the "best times" for fishing are pretty much dead on. It's allways best to fish on a full/ new moon phase. A day or two before or a day or two after is best. The times a.m./ p.m. are also true too, sometimes it's like the dinner bell just rang when in proximity to the "best times" a.m. or p.m. The solunar calendar is found in the Farmer's Almanc. which i have used numerous time, and in numerous fishing magazines. Hope this helps. Good luck!

"We try to be perfect, but we're only fishermen. We wade out into the water, we don't walk on top of it."
Old 11-30-2008, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worrgamesguy View Post
That's not always correct, though. I'm sure people like Lefty Kreh and Joan Wulff still get skunked a few times a year. Is it their fault for not being better fishers? No. Although it is hard to get skunked on the Caney, it happens!
Well, I'm glad that Worrgamesguy is an "expert" at fly fishing so quickly but I can't remember the last time that I got skunked while fishing. It has been quite a few years. The last was in 2000 on the Muskegon while steelhead fishing.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWulff View Post
Well, I'm glad that Worrgamesguy is an "expert" at fly fishing so quickly but I can't remember the last time that I got skunked while fishing. It has been quite a few years. The last was in 2000 on the Muskegon while steelhead fishing.
Haha that's a good one. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say you're not Joan, but I'm sure everyone has a bad day every once in awhile nonetheless.