Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 11-13-2008, 04:40 PM

Default Fishing in WVA ?'s

I was wonderring if any of yall have fished on the Elk river in WVA? I was looking at maybe staying at the Elk Springs Lodge, they have some trophy water, a flyshop, a lodge and a couple cabins. Just wondering if it is worth the trip. they say the river runs underground and picks up limestone so you can match the hatch all year long? Thanks for any feedback!
Carolina Boy
Old 11-13-2008, 09:51 PM

Wow,

From the web site it looks really good. I hope someone out there has some info...

"My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my fly-fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."
Old 11-14-2008, 12:23 AM

I think there's an article in the latest Eastern Fly Fishing magazine. Might want to check it out.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:02 AM

Default Elk Spring

Yea I read the article in Eastern Fly Fishing, I base a lot of my trips out of that mag. I was just curious if anybody had been up there? Thanks
Old 11-14-2008, 05:10 PM

I haven't been to the Elk, but almost every year my grandpa, dad, brother and I fish the Cranberry River in the WV backcountry. It is KILLER fishing, and seems a lot like the Smokies would be (never been fishing there). It is the only place east of the Rockies that is home to golden rainbow trout, and has quite a few large fish in there being a mountain stream. I've never fly fished it, I just started fly fishing 4 months or so ago. But my dad has brough a few rainbows out of there over 20". I catch mainly brookies and smaller rainbows, but my uncle (when he goes) catches mostly browns and goldens.

If you're interested in the Cranberry, it's about 2 hours outside of Charleston.
Old 11-14-2008, 05:40 PM

Default Thanks

Thats cool I have heard of the Cranberry, I would like to fish it. Many only four months into it! Great, you should fishin ni the Smokies it will deffinetly sharpend your skills. I learned to fish up there before tailwaters and all. It can be frustrating at first but, at least for me, after a while a switch will go off and you'll get it. Took me a year to get where I really knew what was going on, but it is fun to try and figure the game out. Stay low and out of the water as much as possible and where drab colors, cast and move too. two falls ago, prior to the drout, I caught 2 20+ inch browns, biggest fish for me in the park. Sweet male brown with the hinge jaw! Where do you live, in WV??
Old 11-14-2008, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Boy View Post
Thats cool I have heard of the Cranberry, I would like to fish it. Many only four months into it! Great, you should fishin ni the Smokies it will deffinetly sharpend your skills. I learned to fish up there before tailwaters and all. It can be frustrating at first but, at least for me, after a while a switch will go off and you'll get it. Took me a year to get where I really knew what was going on, but it is fun to try and figure the game out. Stay low and out of the water as much as possible and where drab colors, cast and move too. two falls ago, prior to the drout, I caught 2 20+ inch browns, biggest fish for me in the park. Sweet male brown with the hinge jaw! Where do you live, in WV??
The Cranberry is absolutely beautiful. It puts any picture I've seen from the Smokies to shame. The wildlife there is unreal, there is an endangered species of salamander/newt that lives in that county that I caught 10 of in one day! I was like "No way..."

But, I can't wait to get back up there to try fly fishing. The water there is much deeper and faster than what I've seen in the GSMNP, so there is little to no activity on the surface. I've tried researching what flies work up there, but I forgot that some high percentage of West Virginians still do not have internet.

I live in the almost dead center of Tennessee, I live in Smyrna. It's 15 minutes north of Murfreesboro, and 30 minutes south of Nashville if you drive the speed limit (about 20 for me). My grandpa and dad are both from West Virginia, my dad moved away when he went to college, never went back. My grandpa, however, still lives in West Virginia. He lives in Belle, it's about 15 minutes outside of Charleston.

This is my brother, dad, and I on the Cranberry:

My brother with a nice rainbow:

He moved from that hole, and I followed... I caught 3 more out of that hole. Excuse the spin rods!

My dad with a golden:

Tiny tiger trout:

Cranberry:

My brother with a nice brookie:
Old 11-14-2008, 10:47 PM

Great pics, Trey.

Are there any campgrounds around the Cranberry and where would they be

"My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my fly-fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."
Old 11-15-2008, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardfly View Post
Great pics, Trey.

Are there any campgrounds around the Cranberry and where would they be
They have the upper and lower campground. The Cranberry has a trail that I believe is an 18 mile trail between the upper and lower, the river bends and twists on and off the trail. What we usually do is fish Summit lake when we first get there (at the upper campground), make camp at the upper, at daybreak pack up and fish our way down. There are many campsites along the trail, and even some "houses" (3 walled pavillions), but they're usually taken. It's a good 2 day trip out between fishing and biking out to the lower campground. It can definitely take longer if wanted!

The lower campground is where we stay sometimes, and ride about 7 miles to what they call "Dogway Bridge." It's a concrete bridge that seperates the river- above Dogway is Catch and Release only, and under is normal fishing. It is definitely a must fish before you can't type deal. It is a supreme fishery
Old 11-15-2008, 10:02 AM

you may want to check out this website....many pics and stories with pics of hogs caught on the elk and many other WV streams.....

click on "message board" then "fishing reports & strories"and pic your poison....
www.wvangler.com

God Bless & Good Fishing
Bob
Jeremiah 29:13