Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 11-16-2008, 12:45 AM

Went to Borders Books tonight and asked the guy working there were the section on fly fishing was. He turned out to be a fly fisherman and had stayed at Elk Springs Lodge and said it was great. He was planning a trip to the Cranberry and had heard great things about it as well.

Looks like there is a trip to the Elk in my and Cardfly Jrs future.

"My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my fly-fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."
Old 11-16-2008, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyetrouter View Post
you may want to check out this website....many pics and stories with pics of hogs caught on the elk and many other WV streams.....

click on "message board" then "fishing reports & strories"and pic your poison....
www.wvangler.com

God Bless & Good Fishing
Bob
Thanks for that link Bob, could help me out! Every time I see your location, I mean to ask, where is Lima? I've got an aunt that works at Scotts, in Columbus I think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardfly View Post
Went to Borders Books tonight and asked the guy working there were the section on fly fishing was. He turned out to be a fly fisherman and had stayed at Elk Springs Lodge and said it was great. He was planning a trip to the Cranberry and had heard great things about it as well.

Looks like there is a trip to the Elk in my and Cardfly Jrs future.
Get on YouTube when you can. Search "west virginia fly fishing" and eat your heart out

There is one video that you get if you search "west virginia monster brown" and I believe is on the Elk.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:13 AM

LIma is on I75, 1/2 way between Toledo and Dayton........I go by the Scotts Corp office everytime I go to my Nelsonville Ohio location....
Jeremiah 29:13
Old 11-18-2008, 11:28 PM

I've fished the Elk River twice. The first time I actually stayed at the Elk Springs Lodge. It is a very nice place to stay and fish. The mighty Elk rises from limestone caverns (where it flows underground for a brief distance) just above the resort. As a result, the water temperature stays relatively constant year-round, providing great fishing. There is a private spring creek that runs through the property and they keep it full of 20"+ fish. There are plenty of rainbows in there that are in the 24" range. The river itself is beautiful, but challenging. It is common to fish with 7X, 8X and even 9X tippet, with flies ranging down to a size 32. There is a full time guide at the lodge who knows the area pretty well. Also, they have a huge selection of flies, so you'll be able to find whatever you need once you get there.

If you want to find out a little bit more about fishing the Elk, check out www.wvangler.com. There are lots of dedicated fly-fishermen that visit that forum. Also, there was a recent video on youtube that featured a trip to the Elk Springs Resort. I think it was produced by "Bent Rod Media". You can search for it on youtube and wvangler.

A few miles above the lodge you will find the Slaty Fork of the Elk River (the portion that eventually sinks underground before rising again at Elk Springs). This is a stretch of the river that contains only wild fish. I have only fished it a few times, and it is definitely the most difficult fishing I have ever experienced. However, it is one of the most beautiful, secluded stretches of water you will ever find.

If you stay at the Elk Springs Resort, you will only be about 30 minutes away from Snowshoe Mountain. I highly suggest that you drive up to visit this mountain-top village (if you've never been there). There are lots of good restaurants and excellent views of the surrounding landscape.

This particular area of West Virginia is one of the most beautiful places in the United States. I've fished the Smokies, Yellowstone Park in Montana and Wyoming, and a few rivers in Idaho. But, there's just something about those Allegheny mountains....

Hope this helps,
Grousegunner
Old 11-18-2008, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grousegunner View Post
*Applauds*

Beautiful write up.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:53 PM

Here are some pictures that I took during my last trip to the Elk.

This is a view of the lodge property just below the point where the river surge up from below the ground.

[/IMG]

Some views of the Slaty Fork

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Here is something else that you might want to check out if you visit the area. This is the Green Bank Radio Telescope, located in Green Bank, WV. It is the world's largest fully steerable radio telescope. It was built in 1988. Supposedly, it is used to view objects in outerspace, and pick up radio waves from outerspace. At least, that's what I was told?! Definitely worth a quick visit if you have the time.

[/IMG]

Last edited by Grousegunner; 11-19-2008 at 12:14 AM..
Old 11-22-2008, 02:39 PM

Grousegunner,

Very well written. I appreciate all the info. I am going to try and get a trip over there in May with my 8 year old.

If he gets on a 20 inch trout he will go crazy. We are both really looking forward to it.

Thanks again.

"My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my fly-fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."
Old 11-23-2008, 01:12 AM

Hey David, if you get a chance, go to the Cranberry in spring. West Virginia is known for their wildflowers in highway medians, and when they're in full bloom it's amazing at all the colors you see. I'm 18, and hardly impressed, but my jaw dropped at these