Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Rod Building

Old 12-10-2008, 05:01 PM

Default Bamboo modification

I've got an old bamboo rod my grandad gave me. Its a pretty heavy rod right now and the cork is in bad shape. I don't have it with me now, but I think its a 9'6" to a 10'. I I'm thinking its a 3 piece, or maybe a 4 piece, but I want to take the butt section off and use the last sections as a light small stream rod. I have an old hardy lightweight he gave me as well that I'd like to mount on it. It would need to have the guides rewrapped, cork and have a grip and realseat added to it. Is this doable, and who can I get to do it for me. With the right knowledge I believe I can do it myself, I just don't know how to go about it right now.

ben
Old 12-10-2008, 06:09 PM

With out a doubt Walter Babb in sweetwater tenn. He makes and repairs rods all the time he is not tying up flies. Super nice man, great craftsman and affordable pricing. You can go by his place and see his work and cast many of his rods that are absolutely awesome. That's just my thoughts.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:28 PM

I'm new to the bamboo rod building world as about a year and a half ago. I have read that a lot of people turn old 3 pc rods into smaller 2 pc rods. They call them Banty's. While they aren't as good as a rod designed to be a 2 piece rod, they will get the job done. I know from the current rods that I am making, the blank making process is the easy part. The rest of the process is time consuming to do it right. I'm not sure how much the cost would be to strip the rod down, rewrap, and refinish the rod into a banty but it may be close to the cost of a new rod from a current maker. You can search around on the internet and find some makers that will build you a new rod for fairly cheap. With all the new makers nowadays, people are saying this is sort of like the rebirth or rennaisance of bamboo. If you went the route of buying a new or used cane rod, you could keep the rod your grandfather gave you in it's original condition. Also, what kind of rod is it that your grandfather gave you? If he was fishing a Hardy Lightweight with it, it might be a really nice collectible rod that would be better left in it's original length and restored. All that said, what you are asking to do is doable and there are plenty of people around that could do it for you and I have heard that Walter Babb does some amazing work.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:05 PM

Ben I am just down the other side of the mountain in Mars Hill and have been building cane for over 35 years. If you want drop me a line at mmfarm@ccvn.com dave male
Old 12-10-2008, 10:05 PM

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure what kind it is, because its a little worn where the make and specs are written, but I believe it is one of the imported japanese rods. So i'm pretty sure its not a great rod, but fished mostly saltwater out of texas back when he fly fished. i know he spent some time in montana as he traveled with his job often (salvation army minister) and has a fly box with dan bailey flies, livingston montana written on it. of course i recognized his name from daricki (sp?) hooks i use, he didnt do a lot of trout fishing. I'm not real sure why he had the hardly lightweight, but he prob got a good deal on it while living in montana. either way, im excited about having it. I'd like to keep this old rod he gave me. he's been diagnosed with alzheimers for going on nine years now, so this setup has a lot of sentimental value in it. i'd love to use this rod up in the mountains. and thats what it would be, a mountain stream rod. i highly doubt it seeing any tailwater action.

Canerod, I go to school in johnson city, so im not far from mars hill at all when im at school. i dont have the rod with me now, its back home in jeff co. i'm gonna hang on to your email though.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:31 PM

any time, I would be glad to help you with your project. dave
Old 12-11-2008, 04:03 PM

canerod, do you have a website or any literature. I love cane rods and am always interested in information on new builders I come across. I am wanting a new rod this year.

Thanks
Old 12-11-2008, 06:16 PM

Hey flyred06,

I'm just down the road from you in Birmingham. Send me an email at gmreevesrodco@att.net. I'd like to chat cane with you sometime. I don't know of many others in Alabama that are interested in bamboo. I'm sure there are plenty, I just don't know them.

Greg
Old 12-11-2008, 06:27 PM

I will do that. Cane is a passion within itself. I will send you an email. It should be from mcredfish38@yahoo.com. I am all the time in the b-ham area so if need be we could meet.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:57 AM

Hi flyred I will send you an e-mail as I do not think the board is the place to provide that type of information thanks dave