Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 11-22-2008, 02:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer
Question TVA website question

I have a question about the elevation numbers on the TVA Reservoir Information web page. Below the Discharge Schedule there's a list of "Observed" measurements. The first column in the Observed panel is headed "Upstream Elevation" and the second column is headed "Downstream Elevation". Assuming that the "Upstream" figure represents the impounded water level, my question is this: Where exactly is the "Downstream" level measured?

Is the water measured at the base of the dam or some unspecified distance downstream from the face of the dam?

In the case of Norris, for example, today's chart shows a downstream elevation of 820.78 (feet above mean sea level) immediately prior to generation, and a measurement of 824.61 (feet above mean sea level) at the height of generation. According to yesterday's historical data it will take between six and seven hours for the water level to return to near 820.78 --- where?

I understand this is downstream from Norris Lake, but how far downstream? I'm having a hard time believing that it takes 7 hours for the water at the base of the dam to completely fall out. (Of course I've never stuck around to see how long it takes 'cause I usually bug out and head down to the jail when the siren blows.)

If it is farther downstream, how much farther? A mile? a nautical mile? Does it really take 7 hours to clear out enough to cross the weir dam?

Gerry Romer
"I've since learned to use the best knot rather than the one that uses the least line. I go through more tippet material but compensate by drinking cheaper whiskey. One must have priorities." ... Art Scheck
Old 11-23-2008, 08:33 AM

There's an old gauging station about a mile below Center Hill Dam, ugh, that's all i know

Grumpy
Old 11-23-2008, 11:41 AM

Thumbs up Dad

Happy Birthday! Wish I was out catching fish with you, but hey in turn I'll be out here throwing one in the back of the car ultimately catching a much slimier type of animal!

Happy Birthday your how many years young again?
~Your son!
Old 11-23-2008, 12:56 PM
Administrator

The birthday status says he's 59, but I don't believe it. I'd say he entered the year wrong and it's off by 10. He can't be older than 49.

Happy Birthday, Gerry.

Paula
Old 11-23-2008, 04:39 PM

Happy birthday Gerry! Just so you know, I'll be getting you something for all you've done for me.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:40 PM

Happy Birtyday, old guy!!

And many, many more. Hope your lines are tight even if nothing else is.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 11-23-2008, 08:07 PM

man trying to get an answer to a question on this site than everyone starts on how old you are NO justice .. HAPPY BIRTHDAY GERRY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
o by the way i don't have answer to your question
Old 11-23-2008, 09:12 PM

I can only offer my own personal observations from my experience fishing the Caney Fork...but they have done me well over the past couple years...and I figure the same ideas would apply to other Tailwaters...

The water begins to rise at Happy Hollow roughly 2 hrs after generation begins...

At Betty's Island it's around 3 hrs...

And at Congo Bottoms its around 4 hrs...but don't misjudge this one b/c you can easily get stuck...

Now I don't claim to be an expert on how long it takes the water to fall, but based on trial and error from when I first started fishing the river, I've found that 6 hours is a good estimate. I think the water falls faster closer to the dam and slower the further downstream...

If I am wrong, please please please someone point out my mistake, as it will certainly allow for more fishing time in the future...
Old 11-23-2008, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Begley View Post
The birthday status says he's 59, but I don't believe it. I'd say he entered the year wrong and it's off by 10. He can't be older than 49.

Happy Birthday, Gerry.

Paula
Do people on the internet age?
Old 11-23-2008, 10:26 PM

Default Downstream elevation

Gerry,
Let me wish you a happy birthday first, and I'll give you my thoughts on the "downstream elevation" of each dam. When you're up close to one of the dams, look closely at the small section on one side that is a concrete corridor. There is usually a measuring devise along the side just as the concrete corridor ends. The water level for the downstream side is level in this area and that is where it is measured. Best wishes again for your birthday.
Hugh