Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 11-27-2008, 05:32 PM

Default Best of 08 Freestone Smallies

I don't post much on here very often anymore but thought I would share a short picture essay of a few Smallies from this year. They are my favorite species and so much fun on the old glass rods. Thanks to a couple of buddies and fine fly fishermen, Chad Williams and Rusty Fowler for taking several of the picts for me.

Click the image to start....

Old 11-27-2008, 07:59 PM

Very nice Gary! I'm pretty sure that all those fish could eat any and all of the smallmouth I caught this year. Someday I'm going to have to try to find some of your secret holes...hmmm, maybe I should analyze some of those pictures...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 11-28-2008, 09:37 AM

I think you may need to rethink your message board name. Some of those smallies have some amazing markings. Beautiful fish.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:02 AM

Default Gary and Mr. Reeves!

Well Gary, don't go reminiscing too much. You'll find your self bitterly cold with the smallie blues through spring! Good stuff as always Gary!

GMReeves, Like you his boardname is his real name! Gary Troutman! Though I'll agree it should be GlassBass~LMAO! His two favorite things...Smallies and old Glass rods! I don't know him that well, or well enough to say that those are his two favorite things, but I do know he's a darn good fly fisherman ripping smallie lips on old glass rods on a frequent basis.

~Brett
Old 11-30-2008, 10:12 PM

Thanks for the nice comments fellas. The species name doesn't have to end with "trout" for me to have a good time. As long as I can cast a fly to them, I'm happy!
I'll be a little blue till feb, but I'm tying and may have a couple of opportunities for some smallies over the winter
Old 11-30-2008, 10:40 PM
Administrator

Gary,

Those pictures say it all...congratulations for an excellent small mouth season! And thank you for sharing that with us. Just awesome.

Paula
Old 12-03-2008, 12:26 AM

Man those fish are awesome! At least give up the names of the rivers ya took em on! I love smallies on the fly! Thanks
Old 12-09-2008, 03:57 PM

I just call them river X and Y on forums. That way no one gets mad for telling what great fishing is on ____ river. Lots of good smallmouth fishing around here, just got to do a little exploring with a topo map, a box of streamers, and poppers and oh yeah, a few stealth bombers are good to have!
Old 12-09-2008, 07:31 PM

nice pictures thanks, i like that rod have one myself from 40 yrs ago my first flyrod.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:14 PM

Wow Gary! Great season. I'd like to send you a few of my bugs and let you try them out on those smallies and see what you think. The fish here in AL seem to like them pretty well but looks like you are doing a fantastic job on what you have already. Let me know if you are interested.
Regards,
Waders