Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 12-05-2008, 02:22 PM

Default Paint creek

I'm going to visit paint creek in the near future, wondering if anyone has any idea of the bugs I should tie up. Has anyone fished there lately, and what have you had success with?
Old 12-05-2008, 03:41 PM

It has been about two months since i was there. I didn't catch jack the whole weekend. The water level was extremely low though. Don't know if you have been there before, but it is a tiny stream. Although I did see about 8 rainbows in one pool that were, no BSing, at least 25 inches, if not 30+. Biggest trout I have ever seen. Not really a response you were looking for though. Good Luck. Please post some pics if you snag one of those monsters
Old 12-05-2008, 03:52 PM

Hey ttas67,
I'm new to fly fishing and especially new to the clinch. I saw the pic you posted in another thread of a nice brown you caught a couple days ago. do you mind if I ask what you caught it on? A friend and I just started fishing recently, so I have never really fished with someone who knows what they are doing. I have seen lots of photos lately of great fish from the clinch and I'm wondering what I doing wrong. I feel like I have a decent cast, but my knowledge of the other parts of fly fishing are lacking, like fly selection etc. Care to share some knowledge? The photo looks like you were near miller's island. Just trying to become a better fisherman. thanks in advance

Dennis
Old 12-05-2008, 05:34 PM

Dennis - no problem. most of my fish on the clinch lately have come on zebra midges. I usually fish a 2 fly rig: zebra midge dropped off something a little larger (scud, BHPT, etc.) with an indicator and weight.

send me an email and I can maybe help you more specifically and point you to some good articles. ttas67 at gmail dot com
Old 12-05-2008, 08:05 PM

Is that your secret, Trevor? I fish the "deeper" holes on the Caney with an EHC indicator with a zebra midge over 2 feet below the EHC. It's awkward, but it works okay. Do you use a strike indicator?
Old 12-05-2008, 11:16 PM

Default ttas67

I went to Paint Creek on 11/29. It was decent at best. Yes ther are some big fish but the water is low and gin clear. These fish spook very easy. There are a couple holes that they're stocked in there like cattle...

Not much surface activity. On the deeper holes I have had success with a San Juan, an egg pattern, and streamers might work if the water isn't very clear. You can find some fish isolated and try some wet flys and some nymphs with a zebra midge dropper. One neat thing about Paint Creek is that it has alot of Horny Head. If you can break yourself from the cattle pens they are fun to catch and very agressive. However there are some big trout stocked in there.

Old 12-06-2008, 02:28 AM

Worrgamesguy,

While the Elk Hair Caddis will catch fish on the Caney, try fishing w/o it unless the fish are obviously hitting a heavy hatch. Nymphing is where it's at.

Definitely tie a dropper or two. Start fishing two flies, then once you feel comfortable fishing those and don't tangle, add another so that you're fishing three at once. One or two zebra midges, different colors. One heavier fly, like a bh pheasant tail or hare's ear. Use a moveable indicator of your choice, (I like the putty b/c I think it's easy to move up and down the leader), so that you can change the depth of your flies as you move around the river. Having an Elk Hair Caddis as your indicator limits you to that two feet of tippet until the next fly, which w/ current could make the fly drift only inches below the surface.

Fishing two or three nymphs below an indicator will allow you to search all throughout the water column until you figure out what and where the trout are feeding on.

And one last thing...Also try fishing the same rig w/o an indicator...sometimes on a dead drift and sometimes putting a little action into the flies...

Good luck!
Old 12-06-2008, 12:02 PM

Smile

I Got the Fever - Dennis:

The key - patience! Most new fly fisherman want to cast all day. I have to remind myself to settle down sometimes. What you want to focus on is your presentation to the fish. Look for good deep pools or the back side of ebbs. Also, note on the side of the stream where there seem to be lots of Herring bird poop. That is a good sign of a productive hole. Also, look for oxygen rich areas where the water is moving with bubble activity.

What you want to do is settle in to a good spot very quietly. Be ready to cast when you get to the spot. Focus on an area you want to present (where you think the fish are). Cast upstream of that area with minimal casts and distractions. Let your fly/bait float through this area with the natural presentation that it would be using if not attached to your line. Your fly line should be on top of the water and not sinking - stretch it out beforehand if you see it doing this. This will scare the fish. Keep tabs on the slack in your line and work strip it to keep it ready for a strike.

Also, be aware of the insect activity around you... If you see a lot of flies on top of the water and the fish are popping them - go for top flies.

Hope this helps...

There are some very knowledgeable members on this site that may help you.. Always be respectful of others and the fish...Learn to catch and release trout - it is not the same as Bass Fishing...

Email me if you want some more ideas...

Be safe and have fun!
CSM
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 12-06-2008, 12:37 PM

Trevor, it depends largely on when you are going. Normally from Thanksgiving until Spring, I have best luck with a san juan worm (brown and natural) and a PH Bead Nymph with a red butt. A black nose dace will also work with full sun.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:03 AM

Default Where is Paint Creek?

Where exactly is paint creek? and once I get there, where are good spots to fish? Thanks

Last edited by bum_hoping4trout; 12-08-2008 at 11:06 AM.. Reason: missed the answer above