Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 12-06-2008, 02:38 AM

Default Leaky Waders

I was able to tolerate the few holes I had in my waders throughout the summer. It was hot, and my socks only got a little wet. Now that it's cold, it seems that the holes have not only gotten bigger, but it seems that they have reproduced and invited all of their friends to join in on the fun. After a couple hours of standing in the water, I can't feel my toes.

I've got some of the 'aqua seal' urethane adhesive and sealant. I've filled the waders w/ water and left them hanging, marked the couple spots I noticed 'seepage', and then covered them w/ the sealant. But it hasn't done the trick. My waders still leak and my feet still freeze.

So, what are the tricks some of you guys use to find these holes and seal them?
Old 12-06-2008, 07:43 AM
Administrator

If you have a breathable membrane wader, let them dry. Then, turn them inside/out and use a bottle of rubbing alcohol and a spray nozzle. Spray the inside of the waders with a mist of the alcohol and where you see dark spots, those are your holes.

Hope this helps.

Paula
Old 12-06-2008, 12:39 PM

Default Revivex?

You might also want to consider trying some of the products that are made for treating and restoring breathables. I would first do as Paula suggsted, then use a treatment like Revivex (sp?). I believe they have and sell this at LRO?

Mike
"Fly-fishing has many attributes, but none more pleasing than it's ability to liberate the young boy that still hides within me and to let that boy live again without embarrassment or regret, sorrow or anguish." Harry Middleton
Old 12-06-2008, 09:06 PM

Does the spray work for the neoprene booties too, or just the breathable part? I think most of my leaks are somewhere in the neoprene booties.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:48 PM
Administrator

The spray and the leak finding technique I talked about won't work on neoprene. Sorry. Revivex won't work on a wader leak.

I'll try to find some suggestion for that and post it tomorrow.

Paula

ETA: Okay, for the neoprene feet, the best way to find the leak is to fill the foot with water. You will see a drip develop where the leak is. Mark that spot and apply aquaseal when the foot is dry.
Old 12-19-2008, 05:18 PM

Tought to find the leaks in the booties. More than likely, it's leaking along the seam. If you see any spots where the seam tape has bubbled or rolled up, you've probably found a leak. You can always try filling them up with water and looking for the leak, but that's hard to do on black neo. A flashlight in a dark room is another way of looking for spots that have worn through or punctures. On the feet, put the aquaseal inside and out making sure to smooth it out.

Good luck.
James
Old 01-29-2009, 11:32 PM

Default Maybe They aren't leaking!!!

Hello, i was reading through your post and a problem that i have that might help you is you may suffer from sweaty feet syndrome. No joke. And you may think im crazy, what 40-50 degree water,how can my feet sweat. If I do any walking before i get in the water my feet start sweating really bad, cuz im wearing all the layers to keep me warm and it makes my feet sweat, making my socks wet, and if your socks get damp your gonna have freezing feet when you get in that water or even not in the water. Ive actually takin my waders off and felt like i may as well not even wear waders cuz my socks were so wet. And if you do suffer from this unfortunate problem, there's not much you can do. Im an avid bowhunter, and worked construction since i was 15, and haven't found a solution yet. It was 13 degrees the other day and all i had on my feet were gym socks and uninsulated boots and when i got home my socks were soaked and toes froze. Ive gotten used to it.

Im not saying you don't have leaky waders. But since you've filled them full of water and only found a little sepage and aquasealed them and you still get wet feet, it might be something to think about or check on before you drop a bunch of money on new waders. Just some of my experience and thought it might help. Good luck!!!

brad
Old 01-30-2009, 12:17 AM

Good points on the socks Brad, worked construction the biggest part of my life as well.
Most folks go with a thick sock in the winter which cuts circulation off & can cause your foot to sweat as well, then some folks just have sweaty feet period
Learning from hikers, wear a lightweight liner sock & a midweight wool(GYM SOCKS WON'T CUT IT), if your feet sweat, the liner will wick away from the wool which will help keep your foot warmer & you aren't cramming a bunch into your wading shoe cutting circulation off.
Another lesson learned, trying to find a leak in booties will drive ya to drinking & a new pair of waders is cheaper

Grumpy