Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 12-06-2008, 04:28 AM

Default Thought I'd post a cool pic!

The "Rock Hugh" at work!

Hugh Hartsell fly all the way...Minus a little wieght and maybe a slight difference in pheasant tail color and ultra wire color! I may be understanding the reasoning behind the added weight in the front end..However, this fly was spot on when used without!

Applause to Hugh!

~Brett
Old 12-06-2008, 11:09 AM

Thumbs up

Cool pic Brett, I need to tie some more of those this winter. I didn't try any last Spring on the Clinch, but I imagine it would be just as deadly as on the SoHo. Also, thanks to Hugh for developing the first iteration of this fly.

Travis

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/
Old 12-06-2008, 01:48 PM

Post a pic of it in the vice and recipe
Old 12-06-2008, 10:41 PM

A senior citizen one on me, I just clicked on flyfishermansfly's site. I love the wetting the CDC, I've always done it with marabou for streamers. I'm going to tie both nymphs for PMDs this August.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:35 AM

That's a really neat fly. My go-to nymph is a similar idea, but as a weighted pattern: Sparkle Pheasant Tail. I've had a number of fish take them on the swing, which should have told me that I needed to try an emerger.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:39 AM

Default Great Fly!

Really good looking fly, Brett! I think this requires your presence at LRO's on the 13th. I always enjoy handing over my vise, to allow guest artist some time, so they can show others some of their great work. I hope that you can make it.
Hugh
Old 12-08-2008, 02:12 AM

Default Thanks guys!

You can praise my tying efforts, but the real praise of course should lie with Mr. Hugh Hartsell himself. I'm looking forward to seeing you create something in the Blue Quill/Quill Gordon catagory similar to this. Wondering what materials you'll go with! This fly has limitless capabilities when it comes to the mayfly emergence, and can really be fished in any type of water...Slack, head, riffle, tailout, etc. Just can't say enough good things about this fly!

As for the 13th, I'd rather be there and see you tie Hugh! I'd really like to see someone else demonstrate..Come to think of it, I've never watched anyone tie in person. Sometimes I wonder if I'm saying the right things or if I'm even making any sense!

I will actually be staying in a cabin in Townsend this weekend and I am planning on entertaining a few friends there the night before and the day of the 13th, so I will try to make it. That being said, it is a real honor to let me take some of your spotlight and I'm overly flattered!

I'm looking forward to TroutFest 09' and being able to tie there as well. I'll also be happy to see you and the many other wonderful tiers there as well.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:55 AM

Default An update on what to expect on the 13th

Brett,
Thank you for the kind words. I enjoy seeing others work as well as doing my own.
I think this is a good place to let everyone know some of the things that you can expect to see on Sat. the 13th. I will be showing a new fly that has shown itself on the Holston River this year and it will be called the Holston River PMD. I will tie it in a Nymph, Emerger, and Dun style. Many of you have wanted to see how to tie the Split Case PMD Nymph, and I will tie it. We'll do the Smoky Mountain Blackbird Softhackle, the Tennessee version of the Thunderhead and some of your personal request. It is the time of the year for the Blackfly, so I'll show several versions of it. Get as many of your friends together and show up at LRO's for a great day of instruction and fun. I'm looking forward to seeing as many of you as we can get into the store.
Hugh
Old 12-08-2008, 07:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer
Default Attn: Byron

Hey, Byron!

Given any more thought to some Sunday fly tying demos for those of us that have to work on Saturdays??

It sounds like Hugh is gonna be tying exactly what I want to see...

Maybe tape it for a podcast or something?

I really hate that I have to miss these

Gerry
"I've since learned to use the best knot rather than the one that uses the least line. I go through more tippet material but compensate by drinking cheaper whiskey. One must have priorities." ... Art Scheck
Old 12-09-2008, 12:28 AM

Thumbs up

Very cool looking fly!

"We try to be perfect, but we're only fishermen. We wade out into the water, we don't walk on top of it."