Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Website and Message Board

Old 12-06-2008, 12:05 PM

Default Persimmon and Today's Fishing Report

The mention of persimmon wood in today's fishing report caught my eye; before steel, and then titanium became the material of choice, when the subject of "woods" in golf came up, the first word was persimmon. While some low-end clubs were made with laminated maple, etc, the finest drivers, etc were made from persimmon - and they were truly handsome clubs. Something was definitely lost with the switch to metal. I'm not sure of the exact steps that were done to fashion a persimmon clubhead, but I think they used a solid block, and then put it on a lathe to form the shape, so I don't think it had to be split at any time. It is certainly a very tough wood, so I guess if one had to make something smaller, like a reel seat, it would tend to split into fragments.
Old 12-06-2008, 02:10 PM

If you are lucky, you are able to find persimmon woods from the '50s and '60s at yard sales. They are easy to refinish and still one of the best hitting clubs you will ever find. The club heads were available in both forms, fabricated from a solid piece of wood and those made from laminated strips. I found one a couple of years ago that was made from a persimmon body with an oak insert in the face that I refinished for a friend. He is still using it.
Old 12-06-2008, 03:35 PM

I have 3 Hogan Apex persimmons - driver, 3 & 4 wood, and I used them until just a few years ago...there's nothing like the feel and sound of balata on persimmon, but sadly, they're both museum pieces now.