Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 12-10-2008, 07:01 PM

Default Hugh at LRO

This is just another reminder that Hugh Hartsell will be tying at the shop on Saturday December 13th from 10:00 am until 2:00 pm. It will be a great day for all involved. Hope you can make it. No Charge of course.

Byron
Old 12-10-2008, 07:50 PM

I'm not going to be able to be there....gosh, I really would love to, I mean Hugh is a Smoky Mountain legend by my standards. I will definately see him at Troutfest in May.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

Byron,

I mentioned this in another thread, but perhaps you missed it. I was wondering if you'd given any more thought to the idea of having fly tying demos on Sundays for those of us who either work on Saturdays or might need some additional travel time. I hate that I'm gonna miss Hugh's tying again this year.

Who knows? It might help pick up Sunday sales.

Any progress on the idea of podcasts??

Gerry
"I've since learned to use the best knot rather than the one that uses the least line. I go through more tippet material but compensate by drinking cheaper whiskey. One must have priorities." ... Art Scheck
Old 12-12-2008, 08:15 PM

Gerry,

Paula and Daniel are the people to talk to about this. I think it's a good idea but that is not my call. Put your foot down and demand a Sunday afternoon fly tying session. Actually we have talked about it. They just have to schedule it. I'll advertise it.

Paula talked about live streaming a tying session. I don't know where they stand on that either. My job will be to get the tyers to come in and let me photograph the tying for the Little River Journal. Walter will come in soon to tie and describe several patterns. We will do as many as we can in one day. I'm going to talk to Hugh tomorrow.

We are running the business with a lot less staff due to business slowing down. There may be some new services that we would like to provide but will not have the time until things turn around. When business picks up, we'll get back to adding more services. In the meantime, we'll do all we can.

Byron
Old 12-13-2008, 10:26 AM

Smile wouldn't miss it

I will be there to watch and learn. Thanks for having these demos. Sharp website and information. Please Keep it up.

grins, John
Old 12-13-2008, 03:38 PM

Talking Well worth it

I said I wouldn't miss it and I am pleased to report that watching and discussing tying and fishing strategies with Hugh was bery much worth my time. Hugh did a great job in his demos and answering the myriad of questions that we asked. I really enjoyed this interaction and look forward to more. thanks LRO, John
Old 12-13-2008, 05:11 PM

Hugh is an exceptionally talented tyer, and I really enjoyed his insight into how to fish the flies as much as how to tie them. Thanks to LRO for hosting and Hugh for the demonstration!
Old 12-13-2008, 09:07 PM

Default Thanks Hugh!!

As always a great day at LRO watching Hugh tie. Hugh tied a number of really great patterns, including some of his secret ties. As always the favorite was the SMBBSH. We talked about numerous ways of fishing it and I forgot to tell him that I had had some great success with the SMBBSH while I was in Colorado this summer fishing downstream in a torrential downpour working my way back to camp (unable to stop fishing...). Its a great fly everywhere I have tried it.

Also, we talked briefly about the Pitzen knot and I wanted to offer my concurrence on its ease of tying and strength. In the last two years (about 60 times out), I have only lost one fly due to knot strength using the pitzen knot (of course, not many 4" rainbow can break off 2x tippet knots either...).

Here is a link to a good tutorial. Its not exactly how I learned it from Hugh, but it is similar: http://www.orlandooutfitters.com/knots/knot.asp?id=12

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 12-14-2008, 07:03 AM

Default Thanks to all who came out.

Folks,
My thanks to all of you who came out and supported LROs and the great tying events that they sponser every year. It was my pleasure to get to meet and talk with so many of you. Your interest was a boost to my efforts and I hope that each of you can carry some little tip with you to the vise or on to the stream. I want to thank Little River Outfitters and all their staff for the priviledge of getting to tie at their fine place of business, and for all of the support that each one of them give to me during the season. I hope to see all of you again later this coming year.
Hugh
Old 12-14-2008, 01:13 PM

I to hope to see Hugh at Troutfest to much happening right now.