Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Website and Message Board

Old 12-12-2008, 12:55 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

Below is a link to the front page of today's Maryville Daily Times. Anyone who has driven into Townsend from Maryville on Hwy 321 should recognize the dam at Walland... I say should recognize.

I think this is what happened to last night's predicted snow, Paula.

http://www.thedailytimes.com/
"I've since learned to use the best knot rather than the one that uses the least line. I go through more tippet material but compensate by drinking cheaper whiskey. One must have priorities." ... Art Scheck
Old 12-12-2008, 01:20 PM

Any of you ever sled down a high wall around a coal mine? If you're not religious, you would be about halfway down.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:21 PM

I can imagine! I've dodged a few snow plows, and ran some cows down in a big pasture though.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytroutman
Any of you ever sled down a high wall around a coal mine? If you're not religious, you would be about halfway down.
Oh, it's just not a sledding adventure if you aren't sure your next vision is a close up meetin' with Jesus, at least once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bran
I can imagine! I've dodged a few snow plows, and ran some cows down in a big pasture though.
Our major hurdle is a barbed wire fence at the bottom of the hill to the right. So, you have to be sure to swerve left, by George. That hurdle has been a bit obscured since our last sledding. The barbed wire fence now has a split rail fence in front of it. Only bad part about that is, in front of the split rail fence are all these extremely thorny rose bushes.

Ahhhh...the joys of sledding. You ain't had fun unless you've pulled a muscle or two, got bumps and bruises and nearly met yur maker.

Paula
Old 12-12-2008, 06:26 PM

At least with a sled you have some control...for the shear terror take to one of those aluminum saucers....by the time you are half way down whatever hill you choose you have generally turned around backasswards and have no idea of what is coming at you or where you are going.....and those metal drain covers always have a way of bringing the saucer to a quick stop but not the rider.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:18 AM

I tried the saucer thing a few times, no thank you. I was a kid then but I wouldn't do it now. I pull the aforementioned muscles on the sled anyhow!
We did do a car hood a few times as kids, now those track pretty well if you have that ridge down the center of it and several can get on if you've got a good long hill.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:32 PM

Default WNC Sledding

Beware Townsend Folks.Cold and lite snow hit me on the Illinois River last nite.Temp dropped 20 degrees in 2 hours!It's coming your way!Paula may get to use that sled! I'm going to my place outside Bryson City in Jan. if it snows.I WILL buy a sled.I'm at 3200' so a good chance.Got a curvy driveway and steep terrain w/trees and a rockpile at the end.Maybe I'll get religion.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:50 PM

Default Now you've done it!

Swampus,

Did you have to be so graphic in describing your sled run? The only reason Paula hasn't responded is that she immediately threw her sled in the back of her Jeep and took off for WNC. I could hear the YIPEE!! all the way over in Oak Ridge - just didn't know what it was till I read this post. That poor sled; in the last 8 years, waiting on a decent snow, it's seen more wax than a Lithuanian body builder. Paula starts quivering every time she talks about it.

Well, all I can say is that I hope you have good liability insurance. I mean, it's not like you didn't throw that inticing description out there in front of a vulnerable, unfulfilled sled deamon. I just hope they can find all the pieces on the other end of the rockpile.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 12-16-2008, 09:21 AM

I thought we were the only ones using car hoods. Nothing like the hoods from the old 50's Buicks that had the rise in the middle.

BTW, if Paula has nicknamed her sled Rosebud, I'm going to get worried.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAMPUS
Paula may get to use that sled!
I sure hope so, SWAMPUS! Thanks for the head's up. We didn't get any snow here though. *sigh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvr2L8
I mean, it's not like you didn't throw that inticing description out there in front of a vulnerable, unfulfilled sled deamon.
Deamon, you say? This may explain the lack of sledding weather. I guess **** hasn't frozen over yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvr2L8
I just hope they can find all the pieces on the other end of the rockpile.
Horns and forked tail must provide some kind of protection from drastic bodily injury.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytroutman
BTW, if Paula has nicknamed her sled Rosebud, I'm going to get worried.
Eeep! I can't believe you didn't use spoiler tags! What if someone hasn't seen/read Citizen Kane?

Paula