Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 12-15-2008, 10:22 AM

Default Clinch river 12/14/08

Mike and I decided to float the Clinch yesterday I sure am glad we did. We had the best streamer action that I have ever seen on the river. As far as the normal dry and dropper combo that we normally fish go's the fishing was below average. We were even catching risers on streamers. It was a lot of fun but my arms are killing me today. I guess thats not such a bad problem to have though...

<>< John Zimmerman
Old 12-15-2008, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzimmerman View Post
Mike and I decided to float the Clinch yesterday I sure am glad we did. We had the best streamer action that I have ever seen on the river. As far as the normal dry and dropper combo that we normally fish go's the fishing was below average. We were even catching risers on streamers. It was a lot of fun but my arms are killing me today. I guess thats not such a bad problem to have though...
JZ,
Were you the guys in the canoe who drifted down as I was getting out? You offered to paddle behind me, but I was heading upstream anyway.

I had a pretty good day, all of my fish were in the slot and most came on a #20 bhpt or zebra midge fished on bottom in the slow deep stuff. I too had some luck casting to midging trout and shallow drifting a zebra midge. Quite an interesting day yesterday. Did you see the duck hunters? They drifted past me waving their guns all over the place, I was getting quite nervous. I also had an old man drift past me as I was landing and releasing a 15-16" bow and he asked why I did that. I told him 1.) I don't like to keep trout, and 2.) it was in the slot. He replied with, "Oh yeah, that slot thing. I always forget about that." Kind of makes you wonder......

Travis

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler

Last edited by ChemEAngler; 12-15-2008 at 01:42 PM..
Old 12-15-2008, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemEAngler View Post
JZ,
"Oh yeah, that slot thing. I always forget about that." Kind of makes you wonder......

Travis

Yeah, makes me wonder... BUT I'm not surprised at all. Not even a little bit

I actually got a laugh out of reading that...

My Blog: Fly Fish East Tennessee
www.flyfisheasttennessee.blogspot.com

><>
Old 12-15-2008, 04:56 PM

Yeah that was us in the canoe. We also saw the guys duck hunting, I must admit that I would also be duck hunting if it weren't for super high out of state fees, but this is my last week up here anyways so I was trying to get a last trout fishing trip in before I had to go. Denso just informed me that they were cutting my coop position after telling me that I was one of the best ones that they have had in the past 15 years, so I will not be back next summer which sucks big time. I'll try to come back for a week and stay with some friends to get a week in this summer if I can afford it... It'll be hard to find a job as a computer engineer in Starkville MS that pays anything like what I was making a Denso. Anything around there takes advantage of the whole college kids will work for about anything attitude, which I guess is true if you can't find anything else.

<>< John Zimmerman
Old 12-15-2008, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzimmerman View Post
Yeah that was us in the canoe. We also saw the guys duck hunting, I must admit that I would also be duck hunting if it weren't for super high out of state fees, but this is my last week up here anyways so I was trying to get a last trout fishing trip in before I had to go. Denso just informed me that they were cutting my coop position after telling me that I was one of the best ones that they have had in the past 15 years, so I will not be back next summer which sucks big time. I'll try to come back for a week and stay with some friends to get a week in this summer if I can afford it... It'll be hard to find a job as a computer engineer in Starkville MS that pays anything like what I was making a Denso. Anything around there takes advantage of the whole college kids will work for about anything attitude, which I guess is true if you can't find anything else.
Sorry to hear about your job. Originally I didn't know anybody who lost their job, but now that list is growing at an alarming rate....

Having once traveled to Starkvegas, I imagine that the quality jobs are few. Could you get on with the University doing something until things turn around? Good luck to you on your job hunt.

Travis

Email ChemEAngler
Old 12-15-2008, 05:58 PM

I'm looking to find something in the ITS department over there so maybe something will turn out. On the bright side I'll be closer to home and friends and family land so hunting and fishing will be free. I got three semesters of school left so hopefully the job market will be recovering by the time I am getting out.

I do want to say thank you to all of the people on this board that have helped me along the way of my fly fishing adventures here in east Tennessee. It has been one **** of a summer/fall that I will never forget. I have managed to cover all of the streams on the TN side of the national park and the Clinch, Caney Fork, and South Holston rivers. I especially want to thank the people at Little River Outfitters yall have made a life time customer. So be expecting on big orders from Mississippi. I guess I'll have to learn how to tie poppers for our monster bluegills when I get back.

<>< John Zimmerman
Old 12-16-2008, 04:54 PM

Default Missing Brookies

I went Sunday afternoon as well. I was below Peach Orchard. I caught nearly 25 fish, but no brook trout? Normally in that area in the summer there were alot of brookies. Did you guys catch the normal ratio of brooks to bows, with a few browns thrown in?

"Oh yeah, that slot thing" IS working now that it is closing in on one year!
Old 12-16-2008, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Fly n View Post
I went Sunday afternoon as well. I was below Peach Orchard. I caught nearly 25 fish, but no brook trout? Normally in that area in the summer there were alot of brookies. Did you guys catch the normal ratio of brooks to bows, with a few browns thrown in?

"Oh yeah, that slot thing" IS working now that it is closing in on one year!
Flat,
I didn't catch any brookies the other day, but I don't typically catch very many where I was at. Maybe 1 per trip. All rainbows this past week for me.

I agree about the slot limit. The quality of fish on the Clinch does appear to be improving. I am looking forward to this May when the sulfurs start hatching again. That could be some exciting fishing.

Travis

Email ChemEAngler
Old 12-17-2008, 12:05 PM

We ended up catching around 8 or so most of which came on streamers. I did manage to catch couple on a dry.

<>< John Zimmerman
Old 12-17-2008, 02:13 PM

Post Check Release Schedule

All,
Be sure and check the release schedules if you plan on hitting any of the TVA Rivers this week. With all the rain; I expect them to be generating quite a bit.

www.tva.gov

Just wanted to save someone from making a wasted trip.
to choose, to respond, to change.”