Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 12-18-2008, 04:36 PM

Mike caught a good rainbow up one of the feeder creeks last time we were out. I thought he was crazy for fishing it. Guess I still have a lot to learn.

<>< John Zimmerman
Old 12-18-2008, 07:27 PM

Default Say it ain't so....

Poachers on the Clinch..........well I'll be!
Old 12-18-2008, 11:06 PM

the trout that twra stocks are triploid (sterile). the fish will still run upstream and lay eggs, but they dont survive. Maybe a few brood stock got into the mix somehow, but it would be a very small percentage
Old 12-19-2008, 12:17 AM

Now that's some fine surgery there............

Will have to look that up, but if you care to enlighten us dumbloids on triploids, please do.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:59 AM

Triploid trout, steelhead, and salmon, are genetically altered fish. Because they are sterile they do not reproduce but rather, the energy which would have been focused in these fish toward reproduction, goes directly into body growth. Over time these fish become huge. Presently the record trout in the State of Washington is a triploid coming in at 23 pounds. The triploid is quickly catching on as a popular sport fish and where these fish are being planted are drawing huge opening day crowds which emulate times past.

The above excerpt was taken from the following website:
http://www.eou.edu/~mmustoe/Fishing.html

It seems like now that they have a slot limit on the clinch, that use of non-triploid trout should be reviewed. At least supplement the triploid trout with some natural trout to attempt to create a semi-wild trout fishery. Sure, TWRA will have to continue to add a significant number of triploids for the catch-n-keep crowd, but having a naturally reproducing portion of that river would be pretty cool.

Flat,
I would be very interested in getting involved in an initiative to help create a semi self sustaining fishery. I actually made a post about this sometime back in the conservation forum.

Travis

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 12-19-2008, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhaircaddis View Post
the trout that twra stocks are triploid (sterile). the fish will still run upstream and lay eggs, but they dont survive. Maybe a few brood stock got into the mix somehow, but it would be a very small percentage

Since when and where?
Old 12-20-2008, 12:13 AM

Default Spawners on the Clinch

Gents this was covered years ago. Minimal, inconsequential spawning in Clear Creek, and maybe a little more in Coal Creek. People who stayed involved after I walked away will have more knowledge about Coal Creek. Is Clear Creek no longer closed from November to March? I took some great pics one evening right about nightfall of fish trying to jump the 5' dam on Clear Creek. One fish after another was attempting that leap, a couple of them actually made it. If I can dig them up, I will post them. I had heard there were some big browns spawning above Millers. I was out there weekend before last and saw the reds, but no fish. I bet people are harvesting those fish. Maybe a Clinch River TU member will respond to this thread. Phil Bettoli (sp?) at TN Tech led the studies. The studies were published and distributed, I may have one. If I can find it I will post on the site.
Anyway very little suitable habitat on the Clinch for spawning, though it seems some of the gravel beds below islands would be good for redd building.
I'm rambling. Good to hear the fish are growing over there, need to get back and try it again.
Best,
John
Old 12-20-2008, 02:16 PM

Default In search of Redds

John and ChemE,
Figure out how we can get in touch and lets go fish sometime when the water is off. Of course we would leave ChemE in the truck if he starts talking about PChem. and ping pong kinetics! I am just now recovering from the effects of that class 28 years ago!

I wonder with all this rain if the bows are starting to show up in Clear right now? Yes, it used to be posted. I actually reported a poacher there once.
Old 12-20-2008, 02:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

I drove up Clear Creek about a month ago and it is still very clearly posted.

Do I recall WBIR's Heartland Series doing a show on TWRA shocking the fish up Clear Creek? Seems to me there were some pretty big browns turning up in there at the time. This was maybe five years ago.
"I've since learned to use the best knot rather than the one that uses the least line. I go through more tippet material but compensate by drinking cheaper whiskey. One must have priorities." ... Art Scheck
Old 12-20-2008, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Fly n View Post
John and ChemE,
Figure out how we can get in touch and lets go fish sometime when the water is off. Of course we would leave ChemE in the truck if he starts talking about PChem. and ping pong kinetics! I am just now recovering from the effects of that class 28 years ago!

I wonder with all this rain if the bows are starting to show up in Clear right now? Yes, it used to be posted. I actually reported a poacher there once.
Hey Flat,
I am game anytime you want to go.

Don't worry, the last thing I will start talking about while fishing is anything Chemistry or Engineering related. I always leave both at work, never bring it home with me.

If you go to my blog below, you will find a link to my email. That is probably the easiest way to reach me.....

Travis

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler