Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 01-02-2009, 09:32 AM

To say great picture is an understatement.

My wife and I were fortunate enough to see and watch two grouse up at Clingman's Dome until they finally walked off. We do a lot of hiking and I couldn’t wait until we flushed one so she could witness the explosion that I am so fond of.

The first came over on Deep Creek. We had just stopped to rest after a pretty good climb when one took off about 10 feet to our left. After I watched him get out of sight I turned to see how big her eyes were. She was impressed. We stood there for a few seconds and got to watch another bird and 3 chicks walk up the hill away from us. That was a great first experience for the wife.

The most recent GSMNP grouse came in November over on Hazel Creek. My wife and I fished our way up to the cabin at Bone Valley. About 300 yards before the cabin we flew one that made more of a ruckus than I have ever heard out of one bird. Again, her eyes were wide.

We had taken the shuttle over from Fontana Marina and were about an hour early for our pickup. We sat, in the drizzling rain, on banks of the most beautiful lake I have ever seen listening to the drumming of a ruffed grouse and watching wild pigs root around across the lake. I would not trade that hour for anything.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:30 PM

Default Mother and chicks

My son and I were on a sight-seeing hike off of Thomas Divide and came upon a mother and about 6 chicks. Pretty cool!

I've rounded a corner on Mt. Sterling road and came upone one drumming in the middle of the road.

We saw one today (in Kentucky) whilst riding dirt-bikes.

They are beautiful creatures.

Denver
Old 01-05-2009, 07:23 PM

I usually see a grouse or two every other trip into Cataloochee valley. I see them most often on that long dirt road into the valley. Sometimes I see them on the dirt road into the group campsites. I wish I could go grouse hunting this year.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:19 PM

Over the years I've done much more damage shooting up the habitat than I have to the Grouse population of WNC. If you are getting wide open shots, you're not hunting in heavy enough cover

Last edited by flyman; 01-05-2009 at 10:20 PM.. Reason: Genetics have been cruel to me
Old 01-06-2009, 01:33 AM

Default cataloochee grouse

On the way to cataloochee, over the long gravel road, I 've seen 3 or 4 along the road's crest. usually gone before I can get a shot but this one tarried for some reason. Very agreeable. just about every time I've been on the long cataloochee road I see them at the same place.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:22 PM

After the road to elkmont had been washed out one winter the only way to get back to fish there was to hike over Huskey's Gap...2 miles up and another 2 miles down....as we crested the gap we flushed a brace of these wonderful birds....thought I had jumped the mother of all quail until I realized what they were....unexpected and exciting.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:43 PM

I always hear, but never see, them on Bradley Fork in the cover on the right side of the road if you're headed upstream.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog 1 View Post
After the road to elkmont had been washed out one winter the only way to get back to fish there was to hike over Huskey's Gap...2 miles up and another 2 miles down....as we crested the gap we flushed a brace of these wonderful birds....thought I had jumped the mother of all quail until I realized what they were....unexpected and exciting.
Quail still startle, even when I'm hunting them. I love bird and rabbit hunting though.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:57 AM

Knucklehead that is a good picture that you have posted. Thanks. I quail and pheasant hunt but never had the chance to grouse hunt. I would love to do it one time.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:00 AM

Flyred,
It's an experience. In my own hunting, I've found out you can go sevaral and burn thousands of calories without seeing one. I hunt with a German Shorthair but some people say that even with dogs it's better to have several folks walking spread out in a line because they flush more birds.