Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 02-01-2009, 12:33 AM

THey had a great story on grouse hunting on Tennessee's Wildside tonight. Wish I had the gas money to go to some of these places!
Old 02-04-2009, 03:54 PM

This is the way I prefer to photo ruffed grouse. Killed 2 weeks ago, by me and my viscious running fur covered mountain shredder.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:33 PM

absolutely beautiful bird, dog and picture. Like I said earlier, I have never got to grouse hunt but that photo makes me want to real bad. I see a L.L.Bean or field and stream photo there, Excellent job, and congrats on the bird.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:27 PM

Beautiful picture. I love hearing that thump,thump,thump ramp up until it's just a steady beat. I didn't know until I was older that they really never actually hit their chest with their wings. It's the negative air pressure created by the wings that makes the thumping sound. Anyways, there is not a bird alive that can come close to the taste of grouse. When I was a teenager my uncle was a die hard grouse hunter and one year we killed exactly 69 grouse between us. We hunted every weekend, holiday and sometimes school/work days from the start to finish of the season. I wish I was in as good of shape now as I was then.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:59 AM

What an awesome picture!

I just read elsewhere on the forum about exercising to get ready for fishing. It's been so long since I grouse hunted, but it just dawned on me that anyone that grouse hunts doesn't need exercise to get ready for fishing season. The grade in the background on that photo is a reminder of the kind of work it takes to put one of those awesome birds down.

Thanks for sharing. I'd echo an earlier post that says that ought to go to Bean or somewhere. At least framed on the wall. Beautiful setter too, by the way.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubefisher View Post
What an awesome picture!

I just read elsewhere on the forum about exercising to get ready for fishing. It's been so long since I grouse hunted, but it just dawned on me that anyone that grouse hunts doesn't need exercise to get ready for fishing season. The grade in the background on that photo is a reminder of the kind of work it takes to put one of those awesome birds down.

Thanks for sharing. I'd echo an earlier post that says that ought to go to Bean or somewhere. At least framed on the wall. Beautiful setter too, by the way.
Thanks for the compliments on my hound, he appreciates it.

You are right, it does take an incredible amount of exertion, and by the time I start fishing in May I am in triathlete shape. I also turkey hunt in the same part of the world, and usually lose 10 lbs b/w grouse and turkey season.

Great fun, and a good way to accomplish many things in DEc, Jan, and Feb.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:00 AM

Can I ask what your weapon of choice is there? Do you use that for turkey too? I'm looking for a good gun that I can use for EVERYTHING from dove to grouse to ducks to geese to turkey. I have an 870 but it's got a turkey barrel on it. Not a huge deal, but it's short enough to cause other people in a duck blind to complain about ruptured eardrums, and it feels funky when swinging on a dove. I could replace the barrel, but by the time I've paid for that...why NOT buy ANOTHER gun!?!?!? (I figure they're like rods; the perfect number to have is always one more than the number I have).
Old 03-17-2009, 10:12 PM

Cubefisher,

It is a month late but I will take a shot at recommending an all around shotgun. I'm more at home in that area than the trout fishing realm.

It really depends on how much you want to spend as with all things but a good all around auto can be had for the 500-700 dollar range, sometimes less in the Beretta AL 390. The Beretta AL 390 is a fine all around gun if you don't need to shoot 3.5" shells. Beretta discontinued the model except for a black synthetic version they were making for Wal Mart. I'm not sure if Wal Mart is still selling them, but a used one could be found easily. The 390 is the gun the high volume dove outfitters in South America provide to their clients. You will not find a better one.

Remington has had some problems but all in all I think you have one of the world's best pump guns in your 870. The Benelli Nova has made a good name for itself also but I've always thought they are clunky. Both can be picked up economically, and both can be bought in the 3.5" version.

Stepping up in price you can look at the Browning Gold semi autos or the Benelli Super Black Eagles. New they are generally over $1000 but both rock solid performers and are carried by waterfowlers in the harshest of conditions all over the world. My buddy hunts with the Browning and he has always treated it like a rented mule. The gun has been as dependable as they come. They both shoot 2.75 to 3.5" shells.

There are a bunch of good guns out there but these are some of my favorites.

Good Luck
HD