Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 01-06-2009, 11:28 AM

Default North Mills river

I am brand new to this website and I had a question for the experts in here. I am coming out to the Mills River to do some flyfishing and camping and I have fished here before but it was in the late spring. What kinda bugs should I bring and do you know about flyfishing at night? I have called a couple of shops about flyfishing at night and most say no or they dont know. I really like this river and its small techy casting. I love it. The last time I was there was when I hike on the A.T. and my uncle took me there and it was pretty dang good. Thanks for your help.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:04 PM

Default My Observations

Rob, Welcome! I lived in Littleton and Castle Rock for about 9 years and miss it.

I'm far from an expert and I have never fished on the North Mills, but I can tell you a few things that may help. First, you never mentioned when you were coming to the area. Please let us know when you plan on visiting, as that may have an impact what might be hatching.

There is a link on the LRO Fishing report that lists "Suggested Flies" that's usually a great place to start for any of the mountain streams in the East TN/Western NC area.

Also, much like many of the mountain streams in CO, the fish in the mountains streams here during the prime months are not really picky. Some of my favorites most of the year are:
  • Yellow Stimulator (#14 or #16)
  • Crackleback (#14 or #16 - A new favorite this year)
  • Mr Rapidan Cripple (#14 - A new favorite this year)
  • Doc's Cork (Yellow #14 or #16)
  • Parachute Adams (Grey in winter/late fall - Yellow in Spring #14 or #16)
  • EHCs (Olive, Grey, etc #14 or #16)
  • SMBBSH (#14 - as a dropper behind a light colored #12 nymph)
  • BHPT (#16 - a killer dropper most of the year)
But to be honest, stealth and presentation are more important than your fly selection. The fly I pick usually has more to do with water conditions and sun/clouds than what is hatching (especially during May-Oct).

If you really want to match the fly to the bugs that are hatching there a few sites that list hatch charts for the area. Do a Google search on "Appalachian Hatch Chart". The first 5 or more sites you get are all good.

Good luck! Let us know when you are coming over and make sure you post a report...

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 01-06-2009, 01:26 PM

Default N.Mills River

Petecz, Nice to talk to a transplant. I actually used to live in Ashville, N.C. when I was younger. I will be coming out March 26-29. I was going to do some trail magic for the guys on the A.t. but I thought that I would rather go fishing instead. Thanks for the tip on google I will check it out before I come. The last time I was there I used #16 adams and caught quite a few. Tied on a #10 wollybugger and got hooked into one that was about 18"-19" dumb me I had on 5x tippet and he broke me off when I went to net him.(rainbow) Any info on night fishing?
Old 01-06-2009, 01:55 PM

Default Night fishing

There are no restrictions against night fishing in the Pisgah National Forest, but you need to be exceedingly careful. As you probably know, mountain streams are hazardous even in the bright sunshine...

If you are camping up there and will be close to the stream already, you might be able to catch some "monster" browns. After all, its when they eat....Streamers that look like little rainbows may be a good bet...

Old 01-06-2009, 02:07 PM

hey thanks and you are right the big daddies hang out at night.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:02 PM

the nantahala is the only place you can trout fish at night in nc. It is illegal to night fish for trout anywhere else including pisgah national forest.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:18 PM

Yeah you are right I got in contact with the dept of wildlife for N.C. and they said NO fishing at night. I wonder why. Especillay if its a catch and release stream?
Old 01-08-2009, 02:27 PM

Default Night Fishing

That's interesting southernguide. I couldn't find any restrictions on night fishing in the Mountain Trout section of the NC Fishing Regulations (http://www.ncwildlife.org/pg02_regs/...tain_Trout.pdf). Is the nighttime restriction listed somewhere else?

Ok, now I'm going to contradict myself...I just saw on the following site what you made mention to (http://www.ncwildlife.org/pg02_regs/pg2b4_signs.htm). Hatchery Supported and Delayed Harvest streams have no restrictions on Nighttime fishing but all other listed trout waters do (Catch and Release, Wild Natural Bait and Wild).

But what if it isn't a listed stream? Where does it list those restrictions?

Old 01-08-2009, 06:39 PM

O.k. now I am confused when I asked the guy from fish and game I said"Can I flyfish for trout at night in N.C.?" He said "no". So if its a delayed harvest can you fish at night? I think I might just call back.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:31 PM

According to the NC Fishing Regs .pdf, You can fish at night in Delayed Harvest and Hatchery Supported streams. But you should probably check with someone who knows, first...

Last edited by PeteCz; 01-09-2009 at 11:41 PM.. Reason: clarification