Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Rod Building

Old 01-27-2009, 08:44 PM

Default Rod building book

Have you seen the Dale Clemens book? May be a little dated now, but the theory is probably still good.

sb
Old 01-29-2009, 01:47 PM

Default If you need help

I'm a big fan of TFO blanks. They have always done well for me. If you need any help or advise (epoxy ramps or feather enlays). Feel free to contact me. I was bitten by this bug a long time ago and I love to pass it on.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:15 PM

Thanks RShaw. I appreciate the offer!
Old 02-02-2009, 12:20 AM

Default Have fun with it

When I started rodbuilding i had tons of questions. You will find rodbuilders are usually happy to help if they can. The most important thing is have fun and get the first one built. Then as your skills improve you can try different things which will become your style.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:37 AM

I bit the bullet and placed my order with MudHole. I ordered a TFO TiCr 9' 8 wgt. I also ordered an aluminum reel set, fullwell grip with cutout, 2 stripper guides (sizes recommended by TFO), matching tip top and single foot guides. I am going to wrap it in black thread with an electric blue trim line.

I am sure I will have tons of questions, so I appreciate any help you guys can give.

I am an obsessive guy when comes to projects like this so it is no suprise that I lost sleep last night over the following questions. Please help!

1. Do you start measuring your guides from the bottom of the tip top itself or the bottom of the loop on the tip top.

2. This rod is going to have a fighting butt. How do I measure to determine where the grip goes? I have read several different lessons on line and I purchased a book that talks about it, but I need something really simple.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:36 PM

(1) Just measure from the top of loop. This is not critical. Just get as close as you can because you will want to do a static test after the guides are located anyway. Put your reel seat and grip on first, then your tip top. Then tape your guides at the locations you have measured. Then put a reel on it and run your line through the guides. Flex the rod and see that the line path is correct.

(2) I typically don't use fighting butts. Others may be more familiar with these than me. I think all you need to do is make sure the blank is recessed in the grip enough to allow for the butt pin.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:49 PM

RodBldr is correct. The only thing I would add is to make sure you find the spine first. The butt section won't have much if any flex so you can put the reel seat on first making sure the fighting butt insert has enough room. (I epoxy the insert in right after the epoxy cures for the reel seat). Then fit the grip and then start laying out your guides.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:03 PM

Default 1st Night...well really 2nd night

My new project arrived from MudHole on Wednesday. So on wednesday night, I got evertything out of the box, laid it out to make sure I had everything...then I was paralyzed by fear wondering all the ways I could screw up.

Went to bed...woke up the next day and decided the only way to get there is to take the first step. So last night I started my project in ernest. I found the spine, at least I think I did, on all four pieces and marked them. I had to do some work on the grip to get the recess big enough for the recessed reel set and I had to bore out the hole. Got the the grip on and got the fighting butt epoxied onto the reel seat. I am feeling a little more confident now.

Tonight I plan to put on the tip top and start wrapping the 'female' ferrules. I hope am still as confident in the morning.

Thanks for all the helpful hints, keep 'em coming!
Old 02-06-2009, 02:46 PM

Great job. The hardest part of any job is getting started. Try not to get too overwhelmed and over think any of it. That is easy to do but it takes away from the joy of the process. Remember, there are a lot of great resources on the net that can help you with questions plus the others that have helped you out from this thread. It sounds like you made a lot of progress already. You will be fishing it before you know it.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:23 AM

ferrule wraps and tip top are on. Looking pretty good...hope I don't get cocky.