Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 01-08-2009, 08:05 PM

Default Adult Zebras

Did a little reading and it seems as if the adult stage of the zebra is just a zebra with some white biot wings and grizzly hackle. Do any of you guys have any info on the various adult stages and what their wet flies would be. For example, what is the larval (pupa etc) version of an Elk Hair Caddis? Or a Royal Wulf? Etc...Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:33 PM

Really? I didn't know there was a dry zebra.... Royal Wulffs are attractors...they're not meant to represent a specific insect...really just gaudy and flashy to get the trout's attention. Hey man, checked out your blog...awesome stuff!!
Old 01-08-2009, 10:42 PM

Tarheel,

Thanks. I've been trying to fly fish and tie my own flies for about a year or so, but don't have an incredible amount of time to do it. I've found some info on the internet about adult zebras and some people tie them. From what I've read so far, most flies, if not all, that are involved in fly fishing are may flies. I'm just getting into all of the emtomology stuff and would like to be able to match the wet with the dry when I tie a dropper.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:47 PM

This website has helped me a lot on tying different stages of flys. It has a lot of variates of flys and their stages.

Hope it Helps, Lee

http://www.flyfishingconnection.com/patterns/
Old 01-08-2009, 11:26 PM

Blue Raider,
I hear ya, sometimes it's confusing and hard to learn the entomology (especially the scientific names.) You'll get better at it, trust me. The more your on the river, the more you'll learn. Next time your out on the stream, grab a few bugs out of the air and put them in a small container. Look in a book and match them up...The best way to remember the mayflies is simply remembering the color of the may. Blue Wing Olives (BWO's) are olive to dark green. Light Cahill's are cream. Isonychia mays are gray (Isonchias are imitated by the famed Adams dry). Check out http://www.westfly.com/entomology/entomology.shtml. GREAT site for entomology and learning the aquatic insects. Another idea is to take an entomology class, which usually is on a river catching and identifying "trout cuisine".
Old 01-09-2009, 12:16 AM

BRF,

I second Tarheel's suggestion, an entomology class would benefit you greatly. If you don't want to spend the money on the class, try the Westfly site the Tarheel also posted.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 01-09-2009, 12:19 AM

I think a good place for anyone to start understanding the basic aquatic entomology of our mountain streams is to be able to identify what I consider the 4 basic groups of aquatic insects found in our streams. They are mayflies, caddis flies, stoneflies, and midges. Now there are many others, but I think just knowing these is a good starting point. Take a look at this link. It has some of the best basic aquatic entomology I've seen. It goes thru the 4 basic groups and their different life cycles.

http://www.sethgreentu.org/entomology/entohome.html

There are really many different imitations for all of them and their different life cycles. For example do a search for caddis pupa, midge pupa, or mayfly nymph and see how many results you get.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:50 AM

Thanks guys...That's one of the classes I wish I had taken in college but didn't...I can tell you a lot about reptiles, mammals, amphibians, even parasites etc, but ask me a question about and insect and I'm am lost! I think I may see if I can take that class at night at MT. May be a little more expensive, but they go into a lot of depth and apparently I'm in need of instruction!
Old 01-16-2009, 11:29 PM

Smile aquqtic entomology

Little river outfitters has a really good aquatic entomology class . I took it a few years ago and really enjoyed it. you get on the stream and collect insects and learn the patterns that are used to imitate them.
Chip
Old 01-17-2009, 12:50 AM

Thanks Chip. I live awfully far from LRO, but you never know.