Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 01-09-2009, 11:34 AM

Default Chilhowee Drawdown

Thought I'd ask a few questions and try to stir a little discussion during these cold/wet days we are having. Does anyone know if the work on the Chilhowee dam is complete? Last I read it was supposed to be late 2008 or early 2009. Seems like they could re-fill the lake in a bout a day right now! Also, I was wondering what anyone knew/thought about the drawdown's effect on the coldwater/warmwater fish in the lake. I've always been interested in fishing the mythical lower Abram's Creek spring trout run, and I was think that it may now truly be mythical if the trout all got zapped.

Thanks! CV
Old 01-12-2009, 02:40 PM

Default dam

I was by there Saturday and they have the lake raised some. The old bridge at Abrams is now underwater. I stopped and looked at the dam and it appears that they have some of it fixed, but there is still a large "hole" where they are working. I had my camera with me and was going to take some pictures, but it was pouring and I didn't want to get out of the Jeep. There has always been some water flowing out of Abrams, so the dam repair shouldn't mess with any "mythical" rainbow run. I'm not a biologist, or even know that much about fish, but even after the drawdown, there was an awful lot of water left in Chilhowee for it to have much of a negative effect on the fish. If anything, it may have congregated the baitfish, making them easier to prey upon. IMO. I guess we'll know in a couple of months.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:43 PM

The drawdown was late enough in the year that any trout in the lake should have made it from a water temperature standpoint...shouldn't adversely affect the fish unless they can't finish the repairs and it is left low through next summer...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 01-13-2009, 11:22 AM

Thanks guys, that's good news. Come March I think I'll try out Little Bottoms to see if there are any trout around
Old 01-15-2009, 12:10 AM

Default Chilhowee drawdown

I have posted pictures and stories on my blog:

http://canoewithjeff.blogspot.com/

I have been keeping up with it a lot. Pretty facinating!

Jeff from Maryville
Old 01-15-2009, 11:54 AM

Nice photos Jeff! Youi need to take the fly rod and post some fish pics in there. Hows the catfish pond coming?
Old 01-16-2009, 12:14 AM

I fed them the floating food but it is still there the next day...either they are not eating or we have fished it out. where/who can i call about restocking? When?
Old 01-16-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayday View Post
I fed them the floating food but it is still there the next day...either they are not eating or we have fished it out. where/who can i call about restocking? When?
The Co-op on Broadway. 982-2761. They'll have a truck at the store sometime in the spring. It actually comes several times a year. I think you put your order in, then pick them up when it arrives. I'll ask my wife about it when I meet her for lunch today.

Wife says call Co-op and ask for the number for the fish truck. Call him and place your order. He'll tell you when they are going to be in Maryville. Pick your fish up in the front lot at the Co-op. I think they come in giant plastic bags with air blown in them, like you would get golffish in that you win at the fair.

Last edited by buzzmcmanus; 01-16-2009 at 01:49 PM.. Reason: Talked to wife
Old 01-19-2009, 02:36 PM

I have been going up to Chilhowee atleast once a week since nov. (when I broke my leg and couldn't do anything but ride around) and it's starting to look good. The sediment has washed out of alot of the creeks and created new channels. I would like to see what has happened at the head waters of Abrams. I talked to several of the workers at the Tallassee Store one day last week and asked when they figured they would wrap it up. One of them laughed and said "hopefully in the next couple of months if it ever stops raining". I thought he was joking but he said really don't expect to see it until late feb-march. That's just a worker thou. I fished the head waters a few times early in the fall and caught only a hand full of fish but did manage my largest brown on fly rod. I don't think the fishing will suffer all that much. That's just me thou.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:16 PM

Default Abrams Creek and the draw down

Hey fishnhunt, here are some pics of some paddling I did in Abrams Creek during the drawdown...it was AMAZING. The sediment layers were remarkable. Any geology teacher worth their weight in gold would have had their students up there! It was a gold mine for research in geology, archeology and history!
Here check this out www.canoewithjeff.blogspot.com

This is Abrams Creek about 300 yards above Panther Creek...

And this is the new mouth of Abrams Creek...temporarily that is!

Last edited by mayday; 01-28-2009 at 11:14 PM..