Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 01-09-2009, 05:18 PM

Unhappy Mustads hooks-Anybody know anything about this?

Is Mustad changing over their hooks??http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...ad.php?t=25511. I use Mustads as I throw them into brush anyway. I've been watching the prices gradually climb every year. Hope not!!
Old 01-09-2009, 05:25 PM

I dont Know. I know that for the price they are some of the best hooks on the market. You can get alot more for the money than for example umpqua. But I have to admit that I am a Dia-Riki guy.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:47 PM

They are phasing out the standard models and replacing them with the Signature series. Same dimensions and characteristics, the new models will have both the new number code and the old one for reference. They will cost more but they will be better hooks. Better stock up now
Old 01-09-2009, 10:07 PM

They also moved production from Norway to their "State of the art" China plant according to the package label. I'm just getting a little tired of prices going up on products where they move production to China. Supposedly they are making them cheaper in China right? but then why is the price going up. Greed as usual.

Note this is not a complaint on LRO, it's just an opinion on Mustad's corporate decisions.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:35 AM

Check out Dr. Fish on this thread. Maybe things will not be that bad. I still remember when hooks were $5.95 per 100. Wasn't that long ago was it?? Excuse me a minute I've got to chase Dino out of the garden.
http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...t=25511&page=2

Randall Sale
Kytroutbum
Old 01-10-2009, 09:50 AM

I had almost stoped using them anyway. There were several other hooks out there that were better hooks. I don't have Oprah money but a couple more cents for a hook was worth it to me.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:35 AM

Default Mustad Signature

One of the blogs I read had a piece on this in the past couple of days. No more production of the standard hooks as of Jan 1.

I've been using the Signature hooks for a year or two I guess. I look at them as a cheaper alternative to TMC's. Haven't bought any of the old Mustads in years.

sb
Old 01-10-2009, 11:52 AM

Default Gierach

On the other hand, Gierach's comment in Good Flies I believe, was something like "when's the last time you had a Mustad break on you?"

Still, to me it's not the wire, but the points. The modern hooks, TMC, Daiichi, Sig etc, have much better points than the old Mustads.

sb
Old 01-10-2009, 01:39 PM

I've used Mustad regular, Mustad Signature, TMC, and even some house brand hooks.

I can honestly say I've never lost a fish due to a hook failure. I've lost plenty of fish due to Jeff failures, and I've left ornaments just out of reach in more than a few trees and under more than a few stream bed rocks.

I've even spooked every trout in 3 counties with my extreem casting skills. It takes considerable skill to make a #20 griffith gnat smack the water with the force of a 15lb concrete block. It's a true art, trust me on that one.

However, with all the creative ways I've found to not catch fish, I honestly cannot say I can blame any of them on a hook failure regardless of the brand and type of hook I use. (of course, I can always start adding new excuses to my bag of tricks though).

Jeff
Old 01-10-2009, 05:34 PM

Default Good one Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnles1 View Post
It takes considerable skill to make a #20 griffith gnat smack the water with the force of a 15lb concrete block.
The year has just begun, but that right there is one of the best quotes of the year, so far...

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."