Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 01-10-2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnles1 View Post
I've used Mustad regular, Mustad Signature, TMC, and even some house brand hooks.

I can honestly say I've never lost a fish due to a hook failure. I've lost plenty of fish due to Jeff failures, and I've left ornaments just out of reach in more than a few trees and under more than a few stream bed rocks.

Jeff
I've bought $30 worth of flies from LRO only to leave them in trees within two days...I've perfected the art. If my sister goes with me, you can double the amount. You made me chuckle by the way...thanks.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:10 PM

Wink Inconsistencies??

BlueraiderFan's comment "I've bought $30 worth of flies from LRO only to leave them in trees within two days."reminded me of two patterns that I noticed raising from this fishing report this past summer.

1) While most fly shops were going under this summer, It seems there has been more "suggestions" about using tandem flies, I wonder if LRO's flies sales have increased!(:>) I've found a Stimi-Copper John combo and a Parachute Adams- Gray nymph combo while fishing my single fly off one branch. Two combo's one branch!! I didn't need a combo to bag that tree.

2) Also note, that there are suggestions to fish above Elkmont (which everyone knows is fishless) but then comments are made about their evening "trips" above Tremont! So next spring and summer when planning your trips, skip Elkmont and fish above Tremont.

All in fun!! Had to rabble rouse one last time, heading to Florida Tuesday morning just ahead of the zero and below temp's.

Randall Sale
Ky(snook)bum till March
Old 01-10-2009, 07:14 PM

Pete and Blue,
Always happy to be of service to my fellow fishermen.

Blue, it took you 2 days to lose $30 worth of flies? Hey, I think you're doing pretty good.

Not to hijack the thread, but have you guys ever noticed that the fly hung in the tree is just low enought that you thing you SHOULD be able to reach it, but just high enough that you CANNOT reach it? Also, I've noticed that any tippet lighter than 5X is absolutely worthless in pulling the tree branch that extra 2" you need to reach your fly.

Back to hooks, I've never even had a hook break when trying to pull down a tree. It's always the tippet that snaps before the hook.

Jeff
Old 01-10-2009, 07:26 PM

This fall the tip of my rod broke off trying to get a fly out of a tree
Old 01-10-2009, 09:33 PM

Default Simple fly retriever

Cut right behind the barbs of a large treble hook leaving as much curve as possible. Tie a line( I use some kevlar casting line) to the eye then to a piece of dowel. Hang up in a tree, put one of the hooks in your tip top and hook the branch using your rod with the remaining ones. Pull your rod out SAFELY then pull on the line to bring the branch into reach. I made one that rolls up in a film cansister in my vest.

Randall Sale
Ky(snook)bum till March
Old 01-10-2009, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kytroutbum View Post
Cut right behind the barbs of a large treble hook leaving as much curve as possible. Tie a line( I use some kevlar casting line) to the eye then to a piece of dowel. Hang up in a tree, put one of the hooks in your tip top and hook the branch using your rod with the remaining ones. Pull your rod out SAFELY then pull on the line to bring the branch into reach. I made one that rolls up in a film cansister in my vest.

Randall Sale
Ky(snook)bum till March
KYsnookBum,
Oh, but it's so much more fun to stand upon the top of a slick tippy rock and leap into the air while trying to grasp the end of the elusive branch while other fly fishermen on the river are both rooting for your success and snickering at the fall and cold water bath that are soon to follow.

As proof fly fishermen are absolutely insane, we'll not think twice about spencding hundreds of dollars on a rod, sixty dollars on a line, twenty dollars on a box to keep our flies safe, but we'll gladly risk life and limb to retrieve a two dollar fly. We'll feel nearly as much pride in saving that one fly as we do in catching a large trout. Yes, we are insane, but it's a good crazy though.

Jeff
Old 01-10-2009, 11:40 PM

Quote:

As proof fly fishermen are absolutely insane, we'll not think twice about spencding hundreds of dollars on a rod, sixty dollars on a line, twenty dollars on a box to keep our flies safe, we are insane, but it's a good crazy though.

Jeff
And then gripe about the cost of hooks!!
Old 01-11-2009, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Pete and Blue,
Always happy to be of service to my fellow fishermen.

Blue, it took you 2 days to lose $30 worth of flies? Hey, I think you're doing pretty good.

Not to hijack the thread, but have you guys ever noticed that the fly hung in the tree is just low enought that you thing you SHOULD be able to reach it, but just high enough that you CANNOT reach it? Also, I've noticed that any tippet lighter than 5X is absolutely worthless in pulling the tree branch that extra 2" you need to reach your fly.

Back to hooks, I've never even had a hook break when trying to pull down a tree. It's always the tippet that snaps before the hook.

Jeff

Better yet, there is a rock below the branch that you are convinced will help you reach your fly, only in reality, all it does is allow you to be even higher up when you finally lose your balance and fall into the water.

On a side note, I take offense to the suggestion that there are no fish above Elkmont!...I have seen them. I just can't catch them!
Old 01-11-2009, 12:08 AM

Sh!!!! They are really mirages.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:32 AM

They may as well be if I'm fishing for them lol.