Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Old 01-12-2009, 02:29 PM

Default Charleston Report

Got down to the IOP, it sure was hard going from snowy western NC to mid 60's low 70's weather! I fished Fri and Sat out of my kayak. All told I caught 17 sea trout in the 2 days, all on the fly, of course. The flies I tied up for the trip were spot on and I used basically one pattern the whole time. Saw some big dolphin going crazy chasing some redfish just a few feet from me, which if you haven't seen up close it is awesome. They are the master anglers! Really cool to see, had one rise about 4 feet in front of me when i was standing on a oyster spit. Love it down there.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:15 PM

Where's the IOP?
Old 01-12-2009, 08:36 PM

Randall, it's the Isle of Palms.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:47 AM

Duh!!- Senior Moment. I should have known that, my son lives in the Charleston area. We've kayaked in some the creeks, he doesn't fish but is a Biologist/Naturalist with Santee Cooper. He keeps telling me about seeing tailing "Spottailed bass" while kayaking. But I usually am doing some non-fishing activity with him. Do seatrout and reds hang around throughout the winter? I've had to delay and alter plans on heading to Fla. and could spend some time there.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:33 AM

Default Schooling fish

Starting in the early fall the red fish/spottails/puppydrum, or whatever you wanna call them sctart to school up together. They do this to avoid getting eaten by the dolphin. What you will see is dolphin coming up into small creeks to chase the reds. The reds will get as far up into small creeks as they can, what they do in the fall/winter is lay up in the grass flats. Unlike the summer they are basically just hiding in there, once the tide goes back out the come off the flats and stay as far back in the creeks as they can. there is safety in numbers so when you spook one they all are wise to possible danger. This changes in the spring around April or so when the schools of reds split apart and go their seperate ways. At that point, at least in the Charleston area you look for tides around the new and full moon when the tidal push/pull is greater. Fish the rising tides on the salt flats find a good flat and wait for the tails to start popping up! Awesome sight. As for speck's speckled trout or sea trout you should look for ayster points and banks that creates food for em and when you find one you will probably find a bunch, but you wont see em, you need to find likely spots and fish till you find em. If you go and fish pink and chartruese clousers called the "electric chicken" killer down there.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:46 PM

Hey CB,
I am going to be over in that area (actually Edisto Island) the last week of April, and plan on trying for my first redfish or sea trout on the fly. Thanks for the update and information.

One question, I was planning on taking my 6-wt, do you think that would be sufficient?

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 01-13-2009, 04:02 PM

Hey CA,

I think that a 6 wgt. would be just fine. I have found a lot of the reason the wgt of the rod changes is not so much due to the weight of the fly or casting distance needed, rather the wind is the main factor. On a clear windless day I could use a 4 or 5 easily, however it ain't clear & windless all that often out there on the SC barrier islands. My grandfather had a house on Edisto when i was young, but I only fished with conventional tackle. I think the 6 weight is just perfect unless it is really blowin hard. My advice is to check out the web site below, and sign up for the forum. There is a specific section for fishing in Edisto as well as a flyfishing section, really good information for you, I am loged on there and it really helped the learning curve. Tie up some "electric Chicken clousers, it was wild how well they worked on the trout. Watch for the dolphin too they will be up in the creeks thick chasing reds, really cool to watch them fish! But it doesn't do us much good as every fish that can gets outta dodge when they role through. let me know if this helps and how ya do!! Tight Lines

http://www.charlestonfishing.com/forum/default.asp