Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 01-14-2009, 12:11 AM

Default I had a laugh at this.

I dunno if this is the appropriate section, but some guy on the paintball forum I'm on tried to convince me that catching a bass is more challenging and give harder fight than a trout. It was all I could do to stop from laughing out loud, I've got respect for bass but that is just ludicrous. Guys like these make my life interesting
Old 01-14-2009, 12:53 AM

My question to you would be, whats the biggest bass you've ever caught?
I have caught a 7pound smallie and a 6 pound largemouth and both where very fun to catch. The 7 pound smallie more so than the lrg. I would tend to agree that lake fishing for bass is very technical and very hard to do. There are very few people in this area that can go out on a consistant basis and catch a 5 fish limit weighing over 15-20 pounds. But dont get me wrong I fly fish because the same reasons you do im sure. But I am best friends with a bass tournament director and see the inside of how challenging of a sport it is. I gave up tournament bass fishing a couple years ago to fly fish but I have alot of respect for those bass guys that invest ALOT of money and time in a very large sport. And we do share one good thing in common with those bass guys,,,,,they all take very good care of thier catch and care about the fishery they fish.

Check out my gallery.....
http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h2...FISHIN%20PICS/
Old 01-14-2009, 10:57 AM

I've caught multiple stripe, largemouth, and smallmouth. My biggest would be about a 15 pound stripe, and I catch 5-7 pound larges frequently. But I don't think it involves as much skill to entice a bass than it does a trout.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worrgamesguy View Post
I've caught multiple stripe, largemouth, and smallmouth. My biggest would be about a 15 pound stripe, and I catch 5-7 pound larges frequently. But I don't think it involves as much skill to entice a bass than it does a trout.
I would disagree, I think it takes a different set of skills to entice a bass to bite, but it is still difficult. I would still rather trout fish, but living where I am I end spending a lot of time warm water fly fishing.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:48 PM

Give me a 5 pound rainbow any day for a good fight...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 01-14-2009, 01:11 PM

Hi. My name is Chad (Hi, Chad.) and I'm a reformed baitcasting bass fisherman.

I oft' wonder what a trout would think of a 3/4 oz. buzzbait?

Also, I think I'd land a lot more trout if I could get by with using 12lb. test !
Old 01-14-2009, 02:43 PM

I think each species has their pros and cons. When the bass are active and feeding on top it can be very easy. Plus this is the most exciting form of bass fishing to me. If they are feeding deep or are suspended, then it can get very technical.

I too used to spend 2 or 3 days a week on the lake doing the tournament thing. And it was at this time that I realize I no longer went fishing because I enjoyed it, but to win money and brag. To me, it just isn't any fun using a 6.5' heavy action baitcaster loaded up with 12# test. The challenge of finding out what they are eating and the fight is what makes fishing enjoyable to me. I do enjoy fly fishing for bass, however.

On a pound for pound basis, I do think that trout are more exciting than largemouth bass. Substitute that LM for a smallie, and you have a whole different situation.....Probably if I caught some of the smallies that Mr. Troutman catches, I would have to give the nod to the bass.

Just my $0.02

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 01-14-2009, 03:45 PM

I've been bass fishing for the majprity of my life, trout fishing for about 3 years. It seems to me that the bass can be compared to a gluton when it comes to eating. Some days, just about anything you throw at them will get them to hit. KInd of like a kid attacking a cheeseburger. Trout, to me, are more like the finicky eater. It seems that they wait and wait and wait until the right looking beef tenderloin, medium rare, comes floating by, And then and only then will they decide to eat! I've had days when skunked by both, but in my book the trout is more elusive of the two.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:33 PM

Talking Hi Chad,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Weenie View Post
Hi. My name is Chad (Hi, Chad.) and I'm a reformed baitcasting bass fisherman.

I oft' wonder what a trout would think of a 3/4 oz. buzzbait?

Also, I think I'd land a lot more trout if I could get by with using 12lb. test !
My name is Charlie (Hi, Charlie.) I too am a reformed Baitcaster...it occurs to me that I had CRANKBAITS bigger than some of the trout I've caught...heck I was half way into a forward cast with my first Brookie before I even realized he was aboard...poor little Guy took the "E" ticket ride on the preceeding backcast

Nevertheless; I wouldn't trade one of the trout for a whole case of DT20 Rapalas!
Old 01-14-2009, 05:41 PM

I have to agree with plunker. I am a recovering Tournament Bass Fisher and the first time I went trout fishing in the smokies I spent several hundred dollars to catch a fish that would be bait where I came from. That being said I have continued on in my pursuit for the illustrious trout. I have found them to be quite a bit harder to catch and with the proper rods just as fun. I would give up by bass water anyday for a place on a beuatiful trout stream. I will take trout over bass any day of the week. Now redfish is a whole new ball game.