Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 01-15-2009, 11:49 AM

Send a message via AIM to MTN_TRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Ounce for ounce, i find it hard to beat a bluegill

Grumpy
I totally agree.

www.cameracoffeeadventurego.blogspot.com
Old 01-15-2009, 01:41 PM

Picking between catching a bass or a trout on a fly is like picking between a hot redhead or hot blond...they're both hot...pick 'em both if you can...

As long as I have a fly rod in my hand and a fish on the other end of my line, I'm a happy man...

I would say that right now I prefer trout because they are slightly more accessible w/o a boat...but the few bass I've landed on a fly and the numerous bass I've caught throwing poppers and crankbaits remind me of how much fun those fish really are...

Bass and trout can both be hard or easy to catch depending on many factors...but I have to give the edge to the jumpers...Feisty smallmouth and acrobatic rainbows can be quite a challenge to bring to the net.

But what it all really comes down to is simply being out on the water. If we didn't enjoy being outdoors, none of us would be fishermen...If there's water, let's fish it...If there's fish, let's catch 'em!

(All that being said, I'll take the hot brunette as well...)
Old 01-15-2009, 03:40 PM

If the weather's too warm for trout, I just grab the 7wt and go after some smallies...
Old 01-15-2009, 05:49 PM

I think that it just seems like bass don't fight as well as trout because of the type of tackle that people use for them. If you use lighter line and smaller rods I think they fight about just as hard but trout jump a lot more.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:52 PM

I agree with Flynut and Waterborn. Its all good. As long as I can use a fly rod, doesn't matter what the species is to me.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:54 PM

Also, fishing for trout in a river involves moving water, so the fish usually feels bigger, only because your fighting against the current. Even a twig or a leave can feel like a 5 pound brown....well, not exactly...
Old 01-16-2009, 10:49 AM

The river and current is definately a plus on the trout but then add in those small mouths below abrams falls and you got a whole nother discussion going on. I wish I could fish there everyday. The wonderful place where two worlds collide, trout and smallies on the fly.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:32 PM

Ive spent over 30 years fly fishing and had amid life crisis where I turned to tournament fishing before the "Big" payouts when $2000.00 was a huge winning amount. Personally...and I do mean this in a non threatening way. Bass (largemouth and smallmouth) are far more predictable than trout. Trout will refuse a fly 20 times more than a bass. I have kept years of journals for both.

The problem with todays bass fisherman IMHO is they are runnin' and gunnin' in a time crunch trying to use the same old tatics they use on home waters to catch a limt of fish. Granted pros will spend a great deal of time mapping and marking but many still spend very little time on specific spots if the fish are there but not biting. The key is to find a trigger with bass and much like trout, presentation is key. I quit fishing tournaments simply due to the nature of most of the wildcat and local tourneys. Many were there for the money. The treatment of the fish was horrible. Many fish were belly up at the docks or just dumped out of plastic bags. No attempts to see that fish were alive and well. Just dumped back into the river.

When you spend time on a body of water you will see the daily changes. You truly become in tune with what is going on on the river, lake, pond, etc...
It's easy for me to go and catch a big stringer of bass daily. I am dissappointed when the day holds less than 50 fish. And when fishing for smallies or largemouth, if you don't have a fish over 4lbs for the day you haven't spent enough time on that body of water.

Trout- an entirely different story depending on the river. You could spend an entire day over one fish and have refusal after refusal only to loose the chance at the one take that simply did not eat or came free.

Just my 2 borrowed cents. It's to hard to compare sunfish to trout. I spend a great deal of time fishing for large small mouth in small streams.
It's become a passion.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:43 PM

beautiful fish and that is what I was saying about abrams falls. I would take stream small mouth over any fish at all. Except red fish.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:51 PM

Bass, trout, bluegill, crappie, carp, they're all fish and I'll do my best to catch any of them. There are days (rare days) that catching is easy. Then there are days when catching seems to be impossible. That's why we keep coming back.

I don't see any as easier or better, they're just different.

Jeff