Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 01-21-2009, 11:07 AM

Default Drift Boats on Tn Streams?

Ok, I used to fish the Clinch growing up, but for the last 15 years have fished the Smokies or traveled to fish. When we used to float the Clinch (and before that, the Little T) we always used canoes. Can someone tell me if they use drifts and if so, if it's worth the extra money? I have a buddy with a pretty nice Claka for sale and was thinking about buying it. Sorry in advance for such a noob question.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:33 AM

Driftboats are a very effective way to fish a lot of the tailwaters here in East Tenn.

Keep in mind though that someone has to row it, and you can't row and fish at the same time, and all your friends will act like morons when it comes to rowing (in order to fish more and row less).

Is it worth the money? It depends on what he's asking and the condition of the boat. You don't by chance know what he's asking for the boat do you? If you decide not to buy it, I might know someone who is looking for a boat.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyraccoon View Post
...and all your friends will act like morons when it comes to rowing (in order to fish more and row less).
I LOL'd.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:54 AM

Thanks. That's good advice. Forgot about the whole "pretend to be a total gonad so you don't have to row... or collect firewood, or set up the tent, etc." I can fully see that happening.

My friend lives in Idaho Falls but was going to haul it here during a trip home to Maryville if I wanted it. He just bought a new Hyde. (Ah, the single life...). I don't know that he'd haul it cross country just to sell, as he can probably unload it there. He's asking 4800; its a 2005 model and has absolute hull integrity.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:05 PM

Sounds like a good deal if it's in good shape.

Clacks are famed for being the timex of drifters, so it should hold up to many years of Tn rocks and shoals.

If you don't mind, keep me in the loop if you decide you don't want it and he can't find a buyer out west.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:06 PM

Someone in Cleveland, TN actually had a Hyde on ebay last week. The auction ended at $2,225 with the reserve not met. Don't know if the individual will re-list or not.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:38 PM

Are there any dealers in the East or Middle Tn area, that would have new and used or consigned drifts boats? Seems like there would be with all the world class rivers in the area and wanna-be fishing guides.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:06 PM

Will do, Rock. I'll be talkin to him this weekend.