Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 01-20-2009, 04:50 PM

I've found lots of carp in many back bays on Ft Loudon Lake. They can be spooky, fussy and frustrating, but really fun when hooked. I echo the suggestions of Buggers & Damsel nymphs on the bottom, and small poppers on their nose on top.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:56 PM

I have never caught one on a popper on top but you guys definately got me interested. I did hook into a 22lb carp on o black gnat one night. He just sipped it in but If they take a popper anything like a redfish I am in.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:52 AM

22lber on a black gnat. thats hardcore carp fishing. any chance of hooking into carp in the spring time? or does the water need more time to warm up to get them back to the shallows?
Old 01-21-2009, 06:12 AM

If you want some world class dry fly action for carp, try the willow fly hatch on Watts Bar during late June and early July. The big orange o-rings are everywhere! They can get selective after the hatch has been going for a few days, but I use an extended body foam mayfly pattern in size 6. Nothing quite like 20+ pounds of carp on a six weight, and sight fishing for them.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:10 PM

dang, that sounds like a blast.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:14 PM

I wish I had the photo to post but that was way before I got with the digital age. Carp fishing has become one of my favorite pastimes. I just wish they were considered a game fish instead of a trash fish.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:24 AM

I have a decal on the bumper of my Bronco that says "Carp, The Worlds Greatest Sportfish". I take beginning flyfishers out to the flats on Melton Hill for some freshwater bonefishing, you can wade and stalk them. It is the perfect practice for fighting big fish on a fly rod, because if you lose it, so what, it's just a carp. A few years ago Flat Fly'n and I were on Ft Loudon one summer evening and I was casting a Loomis 2 wt rod I had just finished building; just catching a few bluegill on foam beetles. Flat saw a carp feeding on top and "triple dog dared" me to cast to it. Of course I did and the battle was on. I eventually landed it, about 9 pounds! My biggest has been 27 pounds (on a 6 wt) according to Mr. Boga. But the ultimate is still the willowfly hatch, they cruise the banks looking up for flies. Nothing quite like watching a big carp make a u-turn and grab a dry, or seeing several race for a fly. My two favorite flies are the Christmas Bugger and the Carp D'Jour, which is basically a tan girdle bug.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:55 AM

seagull

What is a christmas Bugger. Can you post a pic of one.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:37 AM

Wendy aka.."FM" does a nice tutorial on them.
I like to make the herl stronger by twisting it into a rope with the thread before wrapping it up the hook shank.
Flyred, you should try to attend the "dubbing teasers" tying demos, they are a hoot!
http://www.thedubbingteasers.com/59.html

seagull, I sure would like to see you doing some more tying demos also.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:47 PM

Actually the Christmas bugger is a pattern that I developed in the late 80's and had published in 1997. I teach it in both my warmwater and coldwater classes, and consider it my "go to" fly for several species. I guess Wendy did not realize the name was in use, but I guess those guys that she ties with have corrupted her, being dubbing teasers and all that. (Their "craziness" level is on par with my own)
Send me an e-mail to flyrdr@bellsouth.net and I will send you a pattern sheet for the Christmas bugger.

As for the demo's, I guess LRO is trying to get some different tyers in the mix. Two of my fellow Western NC natives will be there, Rex Wilson and Roger Lowe. All three of us learned to tie from some of the same people, and both are great guys and well worth watching.