Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 06-03-2009, 04:06 PM

We rented a modest cabin right on the stream in Richardson Cove, off Hwy 416. Unfortunately we were there almost ten days after TWRA last stocked trout. Weather was perfect and water conditions were right on. There were even impressive late-day caddis hatches, but the potential takers were apparently elsewhere, most likely consumed. Tried to attract smallmouths with dries and wooly boogers, but to no avail. Given the economy and the investment in the stay, I relented and broke out my spinning gear. Caught three nice smallies, one an 8-incher, and a 12 inch drum or some such species. I was also successful in avoiding a close-knit foursome of sizable carp.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:55 PM

I could have told you that, I have stayed up that way several times and wasted a whole trip fishing there. Drive up to greenbrier and fish the park, the rivers are completely different lower and outside the park, and the wild trout are more fun.
Tad
Old 06-04-2009, 10:42 PM

Tad, you are so right about fishing inside the park, which is where I usually go. This particular trip, however, was one for me and my bride of 40+ years. The wild trout would have been fun, but so was the hot tub.

JF