Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 01-19-2009, 12:56 AM

Default Parachute post colors for late pm "glare?"

Any suggestions for color of poly yarn parachute posts to help make a fly more visible during the "glare times" in the late pm on western rivers. I heard some fishermen in Maine discussing different colors such as black during the afternoon glare. I'm heading to Wyo/mont in August and have had a problem following flies during lowing sun glare in the late pm. Any suggestions that you might have seen?

My wife got sick the day before we were to leave, so I've had to wait on Fla. While we are waiting on Gallbladder tests, etc. and doctors app.t, I need to do some tying.

Randall Sale
Kysnookbum( I hope)
Old 01-19-2009, 03:46 PM

I've fished in the "evening glare" out in MT, black will work, as well as pink, orange and yellow. White may not be the best option...What rivers are you fishing out there...?
Old 01-19-2009, 03:55 PM

What about a chartruese color. I have not been out west with it but I like this color for visibility in other places.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyred06 View Post
What about a chartruese color. I have not been out west with it but I like this color for visibility in other places.
Chartruese is a great color too...in general, any color that is different than the background/water...
Old 01-19-2009, 07:56 PM

A couple responses from of "pro's" on some other boards have suggested black posts for contrast, so I'm going to tie some black posts, using two different colors was also mentioned.
Tarheelflyfishing- I've fished the "big name waters" and got tired of crowds etc. Being retired, My wife and I will take a month and set up our camper in a NSF campground and fish the area. I fish the Clark's Fork of the Yellowstone drainage along with the Beartooth Mountain high lakes to the east of the Cooke City, Mont. entrance to Yellowstone. The Beartooth Plateau lakes border Mont and Wyo. They are about 9000 to 12000 ft alpine lakes. Some are only open three month of year. Been snowed on 6 inches on August 1st one year. Brookies were planted by gold miners and are "trash" up there. You can keep up to 20 under 8 inches for breakfast in Wyo, and have no problem getting them. Cutts, 'Bow's, Goldens, Grayling and Brookies are found scattered in different lakes. They are planted by air on 4-8 year cycles, some have very limited reproduction. So they are wild fish. I caught a High Country slam with 3 casts one evening- Brookie (12), Rainbow and Cutt( over 14). I rarely see other fishermen up there, many small lakes. Have seen Mt. Goats, Moose, Golden and Bald Eagles and Grizz!!
I usually set my camper up along the Chief Joesph Hwy north of Cody, Wyo. We usually hike in at dawn to one of the High Mountain Lakes and fish hard and get out at dusk. The next day we "rest" and fish one of the streams COMING OUT of Yellowstone toward the east. Many of the streams originate on the other side of the mountain from the Lamarr or Cache Creek. Most of these streams will see very little action if the "Big Name" streams are clear. Fishing is just as good or better than in the park. My wife and I also hike in Yellowstone, so I carry my gear with me always and wet lines there in the Northwest part, if not crowded.

Randall Sale
Kytroutbum
Old 01-19-2009, 09:23 PM

There is a remote, alpine lake up in the Gravelly Range, a 15 minute dirt road ride...it's called Axolotl Lake. Not a lot of people go up there, due to it's accessibility, but it boasts some quality trout fishing. Grayling (some fairly large), Cutts and bows are native to this high altitude small lake...here is a few pics of the road leading up to the lake...I didn't manage to take any pics of the lake...took a video though...e
Old 01-20-2009, 12:10 AM

A good pair of sunglasses will help and so will changing the post color. It may also help to change the material you are using for the post. I have stated using a material called Hi Vis for wings and parachute post. It has a sheen that makes it easier to see than poly for me. Even under perfect light conditions a white post will disappear in the foam at the head of plunge pool, so having some colors other than white is always a good idea. I like pink, I can see it well, and it makes me feel pretty
Old 01-20-2009, 08:44 AM

Send a message via AIM to Speckleman5 Send a message via Yahoo to Speckleman5

I am always a fan of orange, but I really don't have any experience with the galre out west. I know Orange and Chartreuse work well for me. I can see it under heavy tree cover up until a bit after dark.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:23 PM

Calf tail dyed in bright colors work great as posts for parachute patterns.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:04 AM

Try turkey flats for the post via the AK Best method, i like pink, orange & chartreuse for the funky light conditions. I tried black once, didn't work well for me, everyones eyes are a lil different

Grumpy