Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 01-19-2009, 10:13 AM

Default rod question

I fish a lot from a boat where we are bass fishing larger lakes here in alabama. I also like to drift boat fish on the hiwasse. My question is I am thinking about buying a 10' rod for these applications. Does any one have any knowledge or comments on 10' rods. Are they good or just a waste of money. I want better hook setting capabilities when long amounts of line are out on the water and better contol ability in tailwaters. I have never used one and am just trying to get the pro's and con's on a longer rod.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:52 PM

10' rods are fine...as long as you have enough room to cast...
Old 01-19-2009, 01:06 PM

I have a buddy (can't use his name), that is a big proponent of using 10 ft fly rods. He showed me how well the extra foot aids in lifting a lot of line off the water for upstream mending. When casting from a drift boat, you can make a long cast and while holding the long belly in the air, lay out a reach upstream and you don't have to make a lot of constant mends. I would say if you fish from a drift boat a lot, or do a lot of nymphing on big water, a 10 ft rod would be ideal.
If you float & fly during the winter for bass, the 10 ft would be good also when tossing those long leaders with an indicator.
I like the St. Croix legend ultra 10 ft fly rods.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:11 PM

would you want a faster action rod with this added length. The action I tend to like the most is a 6.0 midflex on the orvis scale or like the winston action on the IM6 models.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:29 PM

Yes, I think you want a slightly faster action if your wanting to make the really long cast especially if your fishing rivers where the wind can pick up.
A med action rod can wear you out trying to throw long distances against the wind. I fish really slow and short rods also(fiberglass 5-6 wts), but reserve those for smaller rivers where cast are 50-60 ft maximum and I am wading, casting under overhanging limbs, and wind is usually not bad.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:57 PM

yes I to use shorter rods when wading. And I have an 8ft fiberglass 4wt I love. But I think you are right for the longer cast I would need the faster action of the 10ft rods.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:41 PM

Thought of another useful tech. with these faster 10ft rods I used to do when I had a boat with a casting deck. You said your fishing from a boat on lakes.
I always enjoyed getting out early on a local lake when the bass and stripes were eating minnows on the surface before the sun got bright and higher in the sky.
keep the line and floating fly out in front of you, make a quick roll cast , back cast into a double haul and shoot line out to the "break" before your buddy can wind in and recast! crease flys and wiggle minnows work good for this technique.
I miss having a boat
Old 01-19-2009, 03:17 PM

That is a good point. Troutman you have just about sealed my decision. Who do you think would make the best rod in this catagory? I will tell you now I am not a Temple Fork Fan. I do like orvis, st. croiux and winstons. I just hate to spend winston money in this economy.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:23 PM

the very best 10ft. rods on the market are the old g loomis GLX fr series 2 piece i have a fr1205 one of my favorite ,fast action. i also have a gloomis imx fr 1204 2 piece med fast action .i have been lookin for a fr1204 glx for 3 yrs . i have owned sage 10ft z axis not as good as the g loomis. scott has a new series with a fast action 10 ft., have not been able to cast one yet . i know of a new glx 10ft 6wt. if interested pm me at sizor@tds.net for info.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:39 PM

Billyspey,

I have always like loomis in my bass tackle and have owned 1 loomis flyrod. They are nice. However, right now they are slightly out of my budget from what I have seen on their website. But you are right they are great rods and opens the door for maybe holding off a short period and buying one later. Also I was thinking on a seven weight rod. Thanks